Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2023-11-30 Vehicle Entry, Location Desync

I do want to add that if/when you do include multiplayer. I would add some universe generation settings. For example, number of galaxies, size of galaxies etc, resource generation rarity, ringworld spawn chance, production multipliers, warp speed factor multipliers, and more. The more customization the better experience and audience you'll be able to reach out to. 

Small servers won't want massive 10 galaxy games and it might be performance hindering. Rented servers online would handle more naturally. They may only want just one galaxy, some might want two. You already have pre-made galaxies with different sizes, so you could setup where you just chose what galaxy you want to play in based on the existing dimensions and scale and perhaps add to the description of the galaxies the dimensions and recommended player counts. 

Some will want long lasting games others will want quick all out wars.

I would implement the multiplayer small scale at first, 8 to 16 players at first and work up from there.

These are usually common space game features and I think they would fit really well here.

(12-01-2023, 10:10 PM)Haxus Wrote: I suppose the preferred configuration would be a stand-alone server module that could be run on about any old PC with 9000 CPU cores.

Time to bust out my old Cray supercomputer I have laying around next to my solid gold DeLorean...joking Big Grin

(12-01-2023, 10:10 PM)Haxus Wrote: So far it is unanimous that network play be added first. I made that the priority.

Luckily the network code is all still intact. It shouldn't be too much work to wrangle it around into a player hosted configuration.

I suppose the preferred configuration would be a stand-alone server module that could be run on about any old PC with 9000 CPU cores.

If you would contrive to make such a thing practical, I will literally buy a threadripper 7995WX to host it

OOOH... YES!

So excited for the multiplayer!

(12-01-2023, 10:19 PM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: I do want to add that if/when you do include multiplayer. I would add some universe generation settings. For example, number of galaxies, size of galaxies etc, resource generation rarity, ringworld spawn chance, production multipliers, warp speed factor multipliers, and more. The more customization the better experience and audience you'll be able to reach out to. 

These are usually common space game features and I think they would fit really well here.

Just wanted to echo my agreement with this, most games which support dedicated private servers usually include some form of admin tool/customization for server hosts, like Wurm Unlimited for example, in which you can configure mob aggression % or tree spreading and similar settings. To be clear, this would be a nice-to-have but it's absolutely not necessary if it's a lot of extra work
What even

Can we focus on like just multiplayer and not worry about anything else until later

(12-01-2023, 11:03 PM)QuakeIV Wrote: Can we focus on like just multiplayer and not worry about anything else until later

Of course. Follow project management 101 basics. Take the whole multiplayer concept with all the customization and break it's development and deployment in chunks (Deliverables). 

- Steam play is the best choice for ease of use honestly. It requires the lowest level of networking know how. 
          - If you just keep it to Local LAN, customers will have to get something Like Logmein Hamachi to setup a VPN server to play together (it's only $49 year for the person hosting...others install the client and you invite them to your network...instant local LAN setup)
          - Or use gaming routers with VPN on it, or something from Unifi etc...
          - I don't like the idea of using port forwarding but if Hazeron can run on one TCP port then that's an option too. 

Just getting that to work would be step one, the customization parts could be done after naturally. One step at at time  Cool

Deliverable 1: get the multiplayer code as it was adapted to desktop hosting and working

Deliverable 2: idk who cares

The sentiment on Steam leans more heavily in favor of better opponents. It is logical to work on that first because it improves the game for all players; whereas network play only affects a subset of players who want to play a network game.

crap

5char

(12-02-2023, 02:18 AM)Haxus Wrote: The sentiment on Steam leans more heavily in favor of better opponents. It is logical to work on that first because it improves the game for all players; whereas network play only affects a subset of players who want to play a network game.

Makes sense, can't argue with that. It's win win in the end.