Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2023-11-30 Vehicle Entry, Location Desync

Here are a few last-minute bug fixes on the eve of the release. What could possibly go wrong?

Vehicle Entry
A lot of times when I enter a new motor bike at a vehicle factory I am launched into space or something. I exit the bike and I am back at the vehicle factory. If I kick the bike first, the problem does not occur.

Fixed.

Aircraft Factory Ghostly Rockets
When rockets spawn outside next to the aircraft factory, they are difficult to get into and don't act as obstacles.

Fixed.

Location Desync
People report being thrown across the galaxy when transitioning from one parent atom to another.

I took a shot at fixing this. It is extremely difficult to reproduce due to multiple threads involved. I can't be sure if the problem is fixed; time will tell.

Startup Avatar Rendering Background Broken
When choosing an avatar at the beginning, the background is white.

Fixed.

Citizen of the Galaxy City
When starting in the Citizen of the Galaxy scenario, you can now choose to start in a city instead of on a new empty homeworld.

(11-30-2023, 11:27 PM)Haxus Wrote: Location Desync
People report being thrown across the galaxy when transitioning from one parent atom to another.

I took a shot at fixing this. It is extremely difficult to reproduce due to multiple threads involved. I can't be sure if the problem is fixed; time will tell.

Not every hero wears a cape...Thank you for taking a stab a it Heart . Fingers crossed.

Quote:Thank you for taking a stab a it

There were two data structures involved. Each was guarded by its own lock. That allowed mischief to happen when updating one then the other, when they needed to be updated at the same time.

I found that there was no reason for them to have separate locks. They now use the same lock so those updates are always synchronous. There is a good chance the bug is fixed. (Me ever hopeful.)

I'm still not clear if anyone has experienced this bug in the solo game. The solo game was not immune to the problem but the problem became more likely to occur with network latency.

(12-01-2023, 12:09 AM)Haxus Wrote:
I'm still not clear if anyone has experienced this bug in the solo game. The solo game was not immune to the problem but the problem became more likely to occur with network latency.

Thank you for fixing this! I personally never experienced it but some people in the community occasionally reported being thrown far outside the galaxy, so it did seem to rarely happen in Starship

Also that motorbike fix is a very nice fix too!
What even

(12-01-2023, 12:09 AM)Haxus Wrote:

There were two data structures involved. Each was guarded by its own lock. That allowed mischief to happen when updating one then the other, when they needed to be updated at the same time.

I found that there was no reason for them to have separate locks. They now use the same lock so those updates are always synchronous. There is a good chance the bug is fixed. (Me ever hopeful.)

Nice! Yeah there were people experiencing it in the solo game. In fact I experienced it more in the solo game then I did in the MMO cluster. 

I was traveling just now and I noticed that transitions is general were much faster. Interesting...

I would also experience lots of crash to desktop if the game was not the active window during travel...For the first time it stopped crashing...when going back and forth.

Glad the yeet bug is addressed. That was the worst ever.

Also, the vehicle entry bug was very annoying. IIRC that was happening for any vehicle, not just motorcycles. Glad that got fixed.

Haxus, I did some testing just now and it seems the vehicle entry/factory collision bugs are still present, on my save I can walk through freshly built Space Fighter F2s, Space Rockets, SUVs and Motorbikes as if they're not there, and getting into the rockets caused my character to fly into the distance the first few times, and getting out put me back at the factory
Can also confirm that starting the engine of the rockets and then exiting makes them have collision, same for SUVs and bikes, although it seems the ground vehicles also get collision enabled from weather damage

Also, similar to the rocket issue, I entered a motorbike and got "Hit by critical external stress! Received 26 hits of Sonic damage and 26 hits of Crushing damage.", and the second attempt I got teleported to the opposite side of the planet
This bug also applies to entering SUVs, and seems to only happen if I'm moving fast when I enter the vehicle, seems to work fine if I stand perfectly still next to it and mash E to exit and enter
Edit: Weirdly the "top" of freshly built SUVs have collision if I jump on top, they don't otherwise
[Image: RQbdsCG.png]
What even

By the way, (sorry to bring this up here since it's not related to the update, but I figured it was urgent enough to justify it) the SSL certificate for the site (https://hazeron.com/) expired some time ago, and ever since it's been giving ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR when users try to visit it. Can you take a look at what happened Haxus? I feel like this is pretty important given users are definitely going to want to visit the site after release (also appears to be messing with the wiki logins - it's been giving weird cookie errors ever since too)
What even

Certificate expired. Just needs a renewal. Agreed that would spook most.

I was working to renew the SSL certificate. It turned into a bunch of grief with the provider refusing to renew it for unknown reasons. They jacked around until it expired which pissed me off. Finally I canceled it entirely and saved a bunch of money.

There is no reason at all for my web site to be SSL encrypted. No sensitive information is ever collected or displayed there. Don't spill any secrets in the forum. ;^)

I'll reserve comment on the surveillance aspects of being tracked about the Internet by SSL providers.