Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019-06-25 XML Star Map Nerf, Transporter Crash
Actually, the update posted on Thursday omits the contacted systems information from the star map.

Over the weekend I received more mail, expressing displeasure with being stomped out of existence. It contained lots of capital letters and profanity. It caused me to react.

A player who drives away all new players is not welcome in my universe. That kind of behavior is extremely unhelpful.
It sounds as if new empires should get some extra protections. Perhaps if you control less than a certain amount of systems, your emissions strength is slashed to a tiny fraction?

Would that help with the stomping?
(06-25-2019, 05:07 PM)Haxus Wrote: Ok, I'll put it back without the "contacted systems" or their signal strengths shown.

If that is the issue you are trying to fix, then yeah you can do that for now.
It ruins the ideas I had for empire sorting/visualizer application, but whatever.

That said, I have always just used the in-game stargamp for locating players, the starmap XML has nothing to do with it.

Mostly I think you should think about solving the deeper issues I pointed out above, and then possibly allow this back later.

(06-25-2019, 05:10 PM)Haxus Wrote: I would prefer to add the functionality to the star map that you get from the 3rd party program. Then that capability is available to everyone, without using outside tools.

You can do that, and at least a limit version would be awesome. But you would be using a lot of time trying to make something that everyone would find easy to use, rather than leave it to the community to make for themselves. At least until you have the time to use a lot of time of such complicated quality of life improvements, I think it is best to just leave it as third-party tools.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Looks like I need to get around to conquering more empires. A universe wipe would fix this. With so few players, now is the best time to do one. My main goal is to be declared the “winner” of this universe. In any new one, I’d limit myself to a single sector or so, for the sake of fun. For now though, I’ll continue conquering everyone I come across who doesn’t ally or vassal. It is not my job to be helpful to you.

I can’t think of any empires who have more than a few systems other than myself and Vectorus right now. All other empires seem relatively new, with little to lose.
A reset never fixes any of our long-term player problems, it just delays them. The fact that you would retire after winning would not stop someone else from becoming even more dominant than you are now and using the same tools to enforce it. Though what you say about the state of play is quite true.

For people who want resets, we could add a small, fast-paced zone which resets periodically and after a certain number of its systems are conquered by one player. I really do think that small addition would bring back a lot of players who just want to fight and have fun without worrying about building something very unique or lasting, while not crushing the hopes of people who want their actions and creations to be more lasting. It is the natural complement to the neutral zone.
Quote:My main goal is to be declared the “winner” of this universe.
Funny, at one point I thought, "Maybe I just need a game mechanic for the active players to declare one of them to be the winner and trigger a reset."

Then it is a mechanism of the game, not something that has to be done arbitrarily. Perhaps it should be limited to no more than once per year.
Quote:I can't think of any exploit which would let you find people using the XML, which wouldn't also let you find them (slowly) using the Starmap itself.
The slowly part is key.

Right now, it takes hardly a glance.
Had a discussion on the discord about adding super structure like ringworlds that would be used to destroy the universe. Have to hold them for so long(say 48 hours) to activate them, have to keep so many (say 64?) active for so long(say 5 days or more? since activation can be done in parallel) and then BANG. universe is wiped.

Announce on galactic when a player begins activation( "A chill falls over the galaxy as PLAYER of PLAYER EMPIRE begins activation on a doomsday device") make activated ones easy to find (if a player is activating and defending them they should be ready for war) and we have a reason for conflict and a means of wiping when needed. Galactic end game.

Downside, one player might wipe when rest of the community doesn't want it. but if they community offers no fight over the 7-day minimum it takes to start the devices then they made their decision.

Upside, by a few empire controlling devices and not activating them they can prevent wipe via cooperation
We are the Dreadknought Conspiracy. Please discard all further questions.
(06-25-2019, 06:22 PM)Haxus Wrote:
Quote:My main goal is to be declared the “winner” of this universe.
Funny, at one point I thought, "Maybe I just need a game mechanic for the active players to declare one of them to be the winner and trigger a reset."

Then it is a mechanism of the game, not something that has to be done arbitrarily. Perhaps it should be limited to no more than once per year.

I think you should consider listening to that voice in your head telling you to implement a mechanic to reset the universe  ;) .
I am against the main universe periodically discarding our creations, especially now that we can make such special things and discover such interesting, beautiful places. Reset only if the game really needs it. Building a compelling universe to be a backdrop for sci fi stories is much harder if it keeps crumbling in front of your eyes.

On the other hand, implementing the exact mechanic you suggest for a new, small zone - perhaps even a box-sized one, would be great. A faster-paced, combat heavy game for those who want it. Bound to be popular with Steam types. Without prejudice to the main universe. Mortius can win that every month if he likes.