Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019-06-25 XML Star Map Nerf, Transporter Crash
Due note before phasing out xml exporting for resources: current possible uses for resource sorting / exporting / etc:

Finding systems with several resources at X quality or higher: independent ship building system / shipyard (not necessarily max everything but a system that can do most/everything at a base quality).

Finding several systems with high resources within X distance (empire planning for settling and route building, get all key resources within a sector or a handful of sectors)

Detecting system changes (for the rare resource reset cases)

Private sharing of scan data with others not in empire - essential for any "scan the universe" project.<b><color=green></color></b>

Offline route planning while not logged in / saving info to a group folder (used quite a bit in larger empires: imagine a leader on break at work texting members and browsing scan data or logs of tactical data and telling members where to go.)

(Maybe some other uses?)

In any case, if you are going thru a UI rework be sure to hit us up on Discord sometime; it may help with more rapid iteration. I may be able to dedicate a bit of time to go over some ideas / mockouts as well. (and a forum thread dedicated to a UI rework may help too.)
The problem with starmap is not that it is exportable, the problem is that scanning for emissions is passive, a player don't have to do anything for it, just watch and have it.

(06-25-2019, 05:10 PM)Haxus Wrote: I would prefer to add the functionality to the star map that you get from the 3rd party program. Then that capability is available to everyone, without using outside tools.
You can't possible implement EVERYTHING people want. At best it would be some compromise between different people's needs.

(06-25-2019, 05:15 PM)Haxus Wrote: A player who drives away all new players is not welcome in my universe. That kind of behavior is extremely unhelpful.
This is a problem of ingame mechanics, particularly combat ones, not a starmap per se.
Please never remove the XML export of resources, this is much too useful. This is one of the most helpful parts of the star map.