Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ship Designer - Interior Layout Tool

(04-14-2024, 03:50 AM)Ivan Wrote: I think this is so important, that even designing one single more ship (or at least its interior) in the current designer is an absolute waste of time. The game really needs designs with restrictions and formalised interiors and will get them sooner or later, so might aswell be sooner, instead of wasting time on an unrestricted designer.

Boom, nailed it! Why would I go out of my way to make interiors in the current designer? You see this with most building designs just not having interiors at all lol, and most ships' entire interiors are just a single room with invisible berths, consoles, and that's it. A game and its systems need constraints and limitations, and not having any of that just makes the system feel unfinished, hamfisted into the game, and thus feel bad, play bad, and generally look bad as people import 600k poly models and make their cities and ships look like a clusterfuck, and to be honest, far worse than the old system looked (I will also even argue that haxus' own designs look far worse than anything from the old system)

As it stands, the designer is a few sliders strapped to a bad CAD system, and thus encourages lazy and exploitative designs (they're one and the same) with no entrances

I will even go as far as to argue that the new designer has destroyed player creativity and game cohesiveness far more than the old ever did, usability is genuinely a MASSIVE part of every game and just because a few people are able to stomach the garbage, doesn't make the garbage any more worthwhile, which can be seen by the fact that most people just use the same few designs from the Workshop (and the store page even advertises this band-aid solution as a plus) because the "freedom" is worthless if you throw everything else out for it. A big part of Hazeron is making your own ships easily and that was lost 8 years ago. Consider that in the old designer, a door was 2 clicks, and then 1 extra click for each subsequent door. Now it's... a 200+ step process, per door. I'm sorry but that's just boring, uninteresting, and a complete waste of my time, that is a failure of the game regardless of the "freedom" it provides me

It's also really sad seeing people defend this just because they like the "graphics" the designer is able to provide, bro you're playing Hazeron, destroying core systems in the pursuit of graphics is the one thing we SHOULDN'T be doing, there are plenty of AAA games for that purpose

Also gotta mention the OpenCASCADE designer Haxus tried in 2014, it had a few initial test releases before the game shut down, and at that point you couldn't manufacture ships from it because it was extremely unfinished, you pretty much just had the tools to make a hull (extrusions, etc) and that was about it. Unfortunately, the new designer is in the same position now and was never fleshed out to be interesting, it STILL feels completely unfinished and even new players who buy Starship complain about it

(04-14-2024, 03:50 AM)Ivan Wrote: will get them sooner or later, so might aswell be sooner, instead of wasting time on an unrestricted designer.

Unfortunately at this point I really doubt this, it's already been long enough that I gotta ask "when"? in 2036? in 2100? it's been 8 years and the core designer functionality hasn't changed much, and it feels like every second the game has spent with the new designer has been wasted
What even