Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Improved Citizen Permissions

Looking forwards to the Steam release, there will be more players in-game than there have been since the free-to-play era, possibly more. I would like to suggest improved permissions for new empire citizens to better promote cooperation and multi-player empires. I've been thinking about what it'd take for me to consider accepting players into the Weltreich empire, and I thought it'd be good to start creating a list.

Some key features that'd make a large difference:
-Limit starmap data to administrative domain. This would prevent sensitive intelligence from leaking out, sort of like varying levels of clearance in the US government.
-Allow the selection of an empire city to spawn at other than the empire capital. Similar to the above, and would allow a starter system to be created. This could be a huge help to new players once custom stories are added, and could contain small starter ships.
-Allow the creation of default permissions for new citizens. This would make things much easier on any top empire officials.
-Define systems/sectors a citizen can access and take possession of empire fleet spacecraft for personal use. This is related to the starter system idea.

I'll add more as I think of them, and discussion on this is encouraged!

I strongly second all of these, and have suggested some of the before. I will brainstorm for more.

It would be also nice if you could actually predfine templates for ranks instead of having to set the permissions per player. And Define one rank as the 'starter' rank.

Maybe it is asking too much, but a permission system similar to Active Directory would be nice. Most of all the use of groups rather than individual permissions.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Could definitely use some sort of tiered access system, lots of potential problems coming in with a bunch of people playing in the same empires.

Could, for example, set new members to Tier 0, inside a city with Manage level 2 permissions (general), with a few specific buildings as access level 0 (new citizen spacecraft factory), with the ability to queue up any empire design flagged as tier 0 access.

It's not "too much" and there's a living example of a game that implements it very closely. Yes, EVE Online.
The rough outline is this: you define a "role" (title), and within it, you assign permissions.
Permissions can be global (affecting corporation property everywhere) or specific to an abstract "home".
Say, a permission to "take from hangar" can be either global, allowing character to take from division hangar anywhere, or "home" only, which will only let character take from hangar at station assigned as their "home" station.
Then you grant specific role and set specific home for the character, and permissions apply accordingly.