Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ballistic Weapon Issues Against Asteroid

Items do drop now, and weapons now fire visible shots, but I'm not sure if kinetical weapons work correctly. My ship wasn't able to hit an 'extinction asteroid' from within 5km, neither from behind, nor ahead the asteroid and shots behave weirdly: trails seem to go almost straight forward and backwards of the ship simultaneously (trails present on both sides) but not towards target which is to the side (but that might be me not being familiar with how things are supposed to work).

One Round Damage 33-111hp, 3m Radius
Full Barrage of 35 Damage 1 121-3 885hp
Lock range around 35km.
I assume I should be dealing damage, it's an asteroid not a maneuvering fighter.

Firing from roughly behind the asteroid:
[Image: image.png?ex=661da6f0&is=660b31f0&hm=ff9...height=851]

Hope you don't mind, but I'll just split this into a separate thread. Just so we aren't talking in a closed bug report.

Ballistic weapons are usually considered very unreliable against moving targets or within gravity wells. They are basically useless in sone situations.
Energy weapons are usually highly recommended, since they aren't affected by physics and simply hit instantaneously.

As for this issue specifically. It could be that ballistic weapon projectiles are bugged. I just started producing some in my save-game and will try some tests with it tomorrow.
It has been a few years since I last heard of anyone using ballistic weapons against the asteroid.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

I also tried destroying the asteroid with ballistics during the start of Universe 7 and every shot missed, regardless of ship distance

It seems they just can't hit when the target is moving fast, energy weapons are far more reliable as dean said
What even

Quote:I also tried destroying the asteroid with ballistics during the start of Universe 7 and every shot missed, regardless of ship distance

Asteroid travels either in a straight line or over a predictable orbit, so hitting it is just math, not being able to hit it 'point blank' is a bug. And it's bad first impression for new players, because most will be using kinetics for their first asteroid.

(04-02-2024, 04:02 AM)andreykl Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 12:04 AM)Celarious Wrote: I also tried destroying the asteroid with ballistics during the start of Universe 7 and every shot missed, regardless of ship distance

Asteroid travels either in a straight line or over a predictable orbit, so hitting it is just math, not being able to hit it 'point blank' is a bug. And it's bad first impression for new players, because most will be using kinetics for their first asteroid.

That is usually why we highly recommend using energy weapons in the guide on the wiki. At worst missiles might be able to hit better since they have homing.

Mainly I really want ballistic weapons to be converted back into rail gun or gauss cannon instead. Have them function similar to energy weapons, no projectile and instantaneous hit.

Then a new separate "cannon weapon" could get the current projectile functionally and be considered a more heavy weapon or simply an orbital bombardment weapon or something. Basically give it an inability to be fired while travelling at high speeds, since the mechanic as it is right now just doesn't work.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

WH40k macro cannons?

Standard energy weapons are the best way to go for that first asteroid. Cryozine isn't that uncommon, You should be able to find some easy enough.

That's beside the point. Projectiles don't appear to hit asteroid despite visually hitting it and logically huge rock that moves over a predictable trajectory should be trivial to hit => this is bug.

(04-03-2024, 01:45 AM)andreykl Wrote: That's beside the point. Projectiles don't appear to hit asteroid despite visually hitting it and logically huge rock that moves over a predictable trajectory should be trivial to hit => this is bug.

If it is, it has been since Haxus introduced asteroids then.