Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024-03-30 Lockup Bug, Billion Hit Point Buildings

Thanks! Looks great! I've also been modifying the dark mode styling on the wiki because the default extension one was a bit weird (and burned my eyes)
What even

I noticed changes to the wiki dark mode. Was glad to see it. The photographic negative of the logo graphic was burning my eyes.

I made IGame the default style for the forum.

Can dark mode be the default on the wiki?

Quote:it's been taking extremely long to load some blueprints into the UI from media

This is fixed. The delay is eliminated. It will be in the next update.

(04-03-2024, 02:05 PM)Haxus Wrote: I made IGame the default style for the forum.

I think it can, we're currently just trying to find a workaround to an issue with the extension where the darkmode doesn't persist for non-logged-in users (which would also be the case if we flipped it and had light-mode be non-default), will keep you updated if we figure something out

(04-03-2024, 07:40 PM)Haxus Wrote:
Quote:it's been taking extremely long to load some blueprints into the UI from media

This is fixed. The delay is eliminated. It will be in the next update.

Perfect thank you!
What even

(04-03-2024, 10:00 PM)Celarious Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 02:05 PM)Haxus Wrote: I made IGame the default style for the forum.

I think it can, we're currently just trying to find a workaround to an issue with the extension where the darkmode doesn't persist for non-logged-in users (which would also be the case if we flipped it and had light-mode be non-default), will keep you updated if we figure something out

So I'm not sure if we can make dark mode the default, the way to do it seems to be using either a custom skin or a completely different darkmode extension

For the other issue, the simplest fix we've found is to add a line to the skin.json file, which you'll need to do

The file should be in wiki-directory/skins/Vector/skin.json
Then find the line saying:
Code:
"template": "skin-legacy",
(I downloaded the latest version to test and in my case it was on line 108) 

and add a new line immediately under, with this:
Code:
"clientPrefEnabled": true,

If you need to verify, you can see that this is the intended solution by checking the official dev bug tracker: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawi.../+/1013077

also you need to set $wgAllowSiteCSSOnRestrictedPages to true in the localsettings.php so the dark mode applies to login/preference pages, currently it ignores the skin and applies the old eye-burning one
What even

Ok those changes are done.

Thanks! Can confirm the login/preferences pages work now

Unfortunately it seems the skin.json fix hasn't worked, darkmode still isn't persisting for logged-out users, are you sure that the relevant part of the skin.json file looks like this?

Code:
"template": "skin-legacy",
"clientPrefEnabled": true,
"templateDirectory": "includes/templates",

Maybe the webserver may need a restart?
What even

That is precisely the code in my skin.json file.

I restarted the web server.

So I've asked in the MediaWiki discord about the darkmode extension and any possible way to fix it, and they claim there's changes that'll only work from MW 1.42 onwards, which isn't a stable release yet... should've expected this given the extension is in a beta state

So for now our best option seems to be to change what extension we use for the dark mode. I've found one that isn't in beta and is far more flexible, this one:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ThemeToggle

It also lets us set the default theme to be dark mode like you wanted! So if you could remove the old darkmode extension and install this one, it would be greatly appreciated and should solve the issues

Alternatively we can have no toggle at all and just make the default theme be dark mode
What even