Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2018-09-19 Building Quality of Operation Nerf

I should add to the above that it is entirely possible to have full Q220+ resources in just 1-2 systems, if someone is content with a slightly inferior product.

Everyone wants Q255. Few people like to be held back, whether it’s through building quality or tech levels. Putting up a poll asking if people would rather get the best tech right from the start, or should be required to put something in to get something out, doesn’t make much sense. It is the job of a game developer to put down obstacles, that are fun to overcome, between what players start with and what they want. If every time someone complains about a core limitation it gets removed, I don’t see where the challenge and reward from playing Hazeron will come from.

Tech levels, although they had flaws, provided a gradual expansion of a player’s capabilities over time. New abilities were added to a player’s selection based on how far they had progressed. This was deemed too limiting by some, so it was reduced to quality.

Under the quality system, the size of ships was still limited by the quality of the resources used. Players had access to pretty much any of the ship functions from the early game. Warp 9 went from being an end-game feature to being slightly more difficult to obtain than plastic. Resources found could be improved as a player’s empire grew, which was a positive of the system, and better ships could gradually be constructed. People could do what they wanted from the start, they were just limited in scale. Again, there were some flaws, such as players being unable to affect the rate at which they advanced, but the other limitations were positives, giving something to aim for. Apparently this was still too restricting.

Without quality, the only progression left is from the bonus curve quality provides. People complained once again that although they could do anything from the start of the game, it wasn’t enough, and they should be able to build any sized ship they want from the start, with no limits on the quality bonuses for those ships. A new empire, with 1-2 systems, can now match most of the capabilities of an old empire with hundreds of systems.

To sum up how I see this change: I want a billion dollars, tomorrow, but without putting in any work. That’s not how things work for a reason, and if it were, those billion dollars would be worthless.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2018-09-19 Building Quality of Operation Nerf - by Mr. Mortius - 09-20-2018, 03:45 AM