Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To the Stars - Asteroid does not spawn / appear

So yeah, title, Asteroid didn't spawn.

Deantwo mentioned that you need to be online / have the game running 8 hours or so before the event, when the Asteroid is supposed to spawn.

This is still unreasonable and a bug.

You only need to be in the game shortly before the asteroid is scheduled to hit your world, not 8 hours.

Sometimes the asteroid hits a different planet or the sun. City report will say this if you have built an observatory.

The asteroid moves at a certain speed. If you login only a few minutes before impact, the asteroid will be very close and you won’t have much time to destroy it.

I strongly recommend that you do not do like in Armageddon and crack the asteroid at the last possible moment. Your home world will certainly be left lifeless as giant asteroid fragments rain down creating Gulfs of Mexico all over the terrain.

No one at all has mentioned seeing or feeling the asteroid since release, so I don't know if it is actually triggered at all right now. I'll ask on the Discord server. (EDIT: Heard from at least one player that it works.)

I am still not sure it is a good event. Even more so since it is a singleplayer game now and we don't need it to clean up abandoned empires.

I was thinking that the asteroid event would be much more interesting as an event happening to another world. Like maybe you encounter a tiny new civilization that hasn't developed space travel yet. You land and meet them, only for them to tell you about the asteroid headed towards their homeworld. You then have a couple hours to destroy the asteroid after learning about it.
This could then lead to the civilization becoming a full NPC empire if you save them. Rather they are a hostile empire could depend on how you deal with the mission. Or maybe they just become hostile later due to governmental changes.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

"Captains log...I have decided to forgo the prime directive and save this primitive species from utter doom."...

Seriously that is a good idea Deantwo. I've always imagined that when Haxus adds AI friendly/neutral/enemy empires to the game that "Quests/events/missions" could trigger. Something that is fun for all. 

I warn the readers below, this example involves other systems of game play that have not been created yet or even approved.

Example: A planet is facing a horrible plague and reaches out to you when they detect you entering the system. You decide to return contact and speak with their leaders. (I always imagined a simple dialog system with the avatar bio picture or something similar to let you see who you are speaking to in dialog menus).

You pick from the menu the options to help them out of 5 options lets say. Options could vary between, just helping, extorsion, to flat out waiting until they all die to conquer them, and even just leaving them to their fate. Ok so you decide to help them, you provide them a quantity of the appropriate Q level medical supplies (Perhaps you have to make a special trip with medical supplies or send another ship). 

I also imagined the diplomacy system when implemented would work on a point based system to determine alignment of the various empires. This being a quest, would have a significant boost that would give you a huge point bonus allowing you to ally if you decided to help vs extort. 

Oh wow...this empire that you just saved manufactures high Q level oil. Now that you are allies, the dialog menu system has more options including investing in their planet and infrastructure. You ask them to invest heavily in their oil production by providing them a large sum of money to fund the investment. From the same menu system you could open the trade dialog screen and setup a broker connection. They most likely would want to buy stuff from you too, that would require negotiation. Not just for price but for quantity per shipment. You don't want someone to buy up all of your goods.   

The asteroid event could be just another event on the list that leads to all of the above. 

There is so much potential here it's staggering...Random events, trade, dialog, and more will make this a top tier space game and make the universe so alive. There are so many events you could come up with...just start ripping plot lines from star trek and your good  Wink

Oh, my bad, there was indeed one such report:

From the history reports:
15.12.2023 16:08 ( 5 hours before impact)
Asteroid orbited harmlessly out to deep space.

Very anti climatic though ^^ .

Was hoping to finally have my asteroid encounter ^^ .

To build on the suggestion:

I think this could also be a random event for any of your empire planets.

I would be up for it being a random event, having to defend or save your cities from some big threat is massively interesting to me

We actually do already have city events like disease/poison/infestations but I haven't seen them happen in many years, back when they were first added they were DEVASTATING, but I'm not sure they're even still in the game

Anyway this bug report needs to be closed because it did spawn, it just flew away as mentioned above, might be a better idea to put these big suggestions in the arena of ideas
What even

(12-17-2023, 06:38 PM)Celarious Wrote: I would be up for it being a random event, having to defend or save your cities from some big threat is massively interesting to me

We actually do already have city events like disease/poison/infestations but I haven't seen them happen in many years, back when they were first added they were DEVASTATING, but I'm not sure they're even still in the game

Anyway this bug report needs to be closed because it did spawn, it just flew away as mentioned above, might be a better idea to put these big suggestions in the arena of ideas

Good idea, I'll do that now. Just to get the ideas written down.