Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocks in dense forest invisible in first person and top down view

EDIT while I still think this is weird, it did lead me to explore the planet on a sailboat and I eventually found a decent spot.

I know this was posted on Steam:

Quote: Wrote: Wrote:Origineel geplaatst door Haxus:
Areas of dense vegetation obscure the underlying mineral resources.

You can use a landscaper to clear the land. That could expose mineral resources.

However, I noticed that not only are stone icons not visible from top down, even the rocks themselves disappear in first person, when you remove the Defoltiate/clear Area surfaces. There is no tree where the rock was spawned. The rock should not disappear. This means likely it is a bug and not intended behaviour.

Rock is present with Clear Area:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...3111218228
Rock vanishes when removing Clear Area:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...3111218184

Top down view
[Image: ?id=3111157117]

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...3111157117

It just seems off to me, don't remember this happening before, that stones would not show if there are alot of trees. Even on dense vegetation, with leafs everywhere, you'd see Minerals, if I remember correctly. (EDIT Big leafs likely don't matter, just the number of trees per square meter)

It think it can also be very confusing to new players. "Go top down and find stone" , "but there is no stone?"

Also it doesn't make any sense: it is not like you are flying high in the sky and looking down, so the trees hide minerals. Top down view is some kind of a cheat/scanner mode that shows everything present. It doesn't make sense to hide minerals in this mode, imho. I mean it shows minerals underwater, even at the bottom of the ocean, but not under trees that don't even have leafs?

The fact rocks are also hidden in first person doesn't seem intended to me. (Deleted Arena of Ideas thread and moved to BUG reports.) That makes even less sense than in top down view. There is a rock between teh trees, but it is invisble because of a tree 5 meters away from it?

Mines can detect the rocks just fine, it only seems a visual thing It seems mines don't detect them either, it just seemed like this because i placed a mine near a defoiliated area. This makes it make even less sense.

EDIT The moving away to update the rocks after defoliating doesn't seem to be working enterily either. The rocks will not update regarless of how far u move. They only updated after first placing a few defoliate slabs, the after these were finished (for a while), the rocks appeared when I placed a single Defoliate area (but did not finish it). Then all the resource from the area that has "cleared area" that was finished long ago suddenly poped up.

You can try it yourself in Windows 10 at the following coordinates, just to see how frustrating it is.

Galactic coordinates 1690.7793, -3.6015, -0.1920

coordinates: 85.84°W 44.00°N IAZ'KB'C'h VI, Sector (169, 0, 0)

Isn't harvestables got sorta grid map, and plants layer is override mineables layer when they share same grid cell?

(12-11-2023, 10:51 AM)Kastuk Wrote: Isn't harvestables got sorta grid map, and plants layer is override mineables layer when they share same grid cell?

Yes I considered this possibilty. It seems to me that it should be possible to make both visible, especially in top down view: the location is know to the game (mines) so it should be possible to link this visibility to at least the "Minerals" filter in top down view.

RN, (I think) you basically have: IF Clear Area=0 THEN RenderTrees=1, RenderRocks=0 ELSE RenderTrees=0, RenderRocks=1. Just setting the first RenderRocks to 1 in both cases should be possible imo. It might not be that easy, but I don't think it should require a major change, since all rocks are already detectable (by mines) at all times, just not visible.

Either way it just doesn't make sense that you are looking at where a stone is located, but it is not visible. I wonder if maybe  u can even Forage it while invisble.

If it is not possible to change easily, I guess we'll be stuck with it. I'll update my guide with Clear Area information.

EDIT Moving away and using Clear Area and defoliate is working eventually, but takes too much placing and moving then placing another Defoliate/ Clear Area before the resources will finally spawn. I highly doubt this is working as intended. And I don't remember this happening in 2014-2015 (we didn't even have defoliate and clear area iirc).

The best thing is to move, but it seems most of the planet is covered in trees. In another zone I found a good spot. I did enjoy exploring to find it. Still invisible rocks are a bit weird. But if it leads to exploration it might be ok.