Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2023-11-30 Vehicle Entry, Location Desync

(12-01-2023, 09:07 PM)Haxus Wrote: I would like to address some comments I read on Steam.

1) Pirate empires could be more advanced and interesting.

I also think it would be fun to play against an AI opponent who plays and acts like a regular player. That is no small task. It is too early to decide if that manifests as smarter pirate empires or an entirely new player AI.

2) Network play.

When I referred to LAN play in the past I meant player hosted network play. The networking will use TCP/IP of course.

I am most curious which of these improvements you would prefer to see first. Each of them is a lot of work.

That's a tough one. Both will be highly rewarding and as you said, both have high time commitments. To me being able to play with friends would be a huge selling point and most likely would be the highest demanded features.

Honestly if network play is easier to tackle, I would do it so you don't rush the pirate AI. The reason I say this is because the requests won't end there with the pirate AI...you know everyone is going to want a living universe. Meaning friendly and enemy empires that are generated and grow with the game overtime (you can use some shortcuts with their growth...as in don't have enemy NPCs running around physically building stuff). That will lead you to diplomatic relations, trade, wars, and general interaction. Yes that is a huge undertaking but it will have the biggest impact on the game a further define and solidify it's place among the other great space games.

So yeah, network first...then the rest you can release in chunks...and the rest will be history  Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2023-11-30 Vehicle Entry, Location Desync - by Rockinsince87 - 12-01-2023, 09:41 PM