Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Not the same game without players

Hey ! This post is primarily aimed for Haxus, but feel free to add your PoV.

I feel like this game's not the same on singleplayer. It was obviously developped with multiplayer in mind, and most aspects don't work great without a server (resource production, ship construction, building construction, population flow in cities etc).
In addition, what made SoH a great game was other players and the interest / danger they represented : you could either find a friend or go full war with another empire, you could actually compete for whatever reason or even act as some intergalactic pest.

Now, I know there must be a ton of work to do with Steam release and all.
But even something as simple as being able to host external dedicated servers and a way to join them in-game (even via direct IP) could be enough to make a big difference at launch.

IMO in the actual state this game is like playing DayZ in singleplayer : there is a ton of cool features, you can RP and play alone for some time, but the main reason why people like it is for interactions with other players.

Maybe this would change when a proper story will be added, and some challenge too (right now there's no need to get good optimized Q255 warships as pirates are a low level threat).

If Haxus decides to do dedicated servers, Steam actually provides a really easy way to distribute software for that:
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/sdk/u...ibuting_gs

Lots of games with dedicated servers use this distribution, it makes it really easy to setup private servers

I really hope Haxus considers that option, it'd be the best way to have MP in Starship in my opinion

But yeah I agree, currently there's not much to fight in Starship and it gets stale because of that
What even