Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old ship designer

I understand the reason why a new designer was needed (just for the buildings etc.). Is it possible - technically - and also because of usability to implement the old designer again?

Unfortunately the old one apparently used some old code he really wanted to get rid of, so the chances of it being re-implementable are kinda low

But we all want a simple mode for the new designer which is similar to the old one and makes things less painful to do
What even

(05-10-2023, 03:27 PM)Celarious Wrote: But we all want a simple mode for the new designer which is similar to the old one and makes things less painful to do

^^This. I miss being able to throw a ship design together in under 5 minutes lol.
Zahariel inĀ Universe 3, 4, 5 and 6.
HS Beta Also.

Sieg syndicate I guess.

I enjoy the designer but the turbolift process

I highly doubt the old designer will be implemented.

It is much more likely that the new designer will get easier to use. For example a "simple interior" mode would solve a lot of the hardships associated with the new designer.

Haxus has mentioned before that the new designer is barely more than just function. It has plenty of room for improvement and it will likely get easier to use in the future when he gets around to working on it again.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

The current strategy I developed for using the new editor, hinges on using the new editor as little as humanly possible and doing 90% of the work in blender..

I don't see the point in wasting all this time trying to create CAD/3D editing when it is already done better by many third parties. I am not going to waste my time creating geometry in replicate 90's CAD software, when I have modern software.

Once the new designer starts to resemble the old designer again, I may be tempted to create more in the game.

(05-10-2023, 03:27 PM)Celarious Wrote: Unfortunately the old one apparently used some old code he really wanted to get rid of, so the chances of it being re-implementable are kinda low

But we all want a simple mode for the new designer which is similar to the old one and makes things less painful to do

Indeed, I've posted this before. It doesn't need to be the same as the old designer, but just something like this:

- Ability to draw rooms directly with predefined voids and pathing depending on the room shape.

- Ability to place doors/hatches/ladders/turbolifts (with automatic/predefined voids, pathing, opend/closed states), which would automatically connect two rooms or a room and the outside.

- Ability to place premade turrets and move them around much easier.

You could still "micro"-edit rooms like u can now, change the shape of doors and make special geometry for each room if you wish to. But the cool thing would be that you wouldn't have to do it.

Currently I don't mind creating the hull for a new ship, but knowing that I have to do the interior aswell, means I just don't feel like designing any of the larger ships or space stations i had i mind. I mean I think I spend about 50 to 100 hours per ship in the new designer, whereas in the old desinger my most complex ships were done in under 5 hours iirc (including changing/redesigning).

I actually like the current exterior system, but yeah its worse at interiors compared to the old system by an absurd degree.