Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Import/Export Ship Missions

(03-20-2023, 06:30 PM)Celarious Wrote: Sure, it might be fine in SP, except new people will just immediately look up an "optimal gameplay" guide, do it, and then think that the game is too easy, shallow and non-interactive, and then complain here on the forums or on Steam reviews
I see why you say this, but minmaxers will minmax regardless. Modern mainstream gaming is all about META.

I don't see the point to cancel an interesting feature just because some players can't play without their holy meta. As for MP abuse, there is none (imo) as officer limits and ship/commodity production are still a thing and require cities or at least buildings. The worst I can imagine is making a tool to quickly generate military missions from a starmap file, and even then I'd guess Haxus would be all for such creativity. Keeping some player action to load it into each ship would be a must tho, for balance.

(03-20-2023, 06:30 PM)Celarious Wrote: Also, what if we ever get MP play? That's even more problematic
(03-20-2023, 09:11 PM)Neils Iyssada Wrote: As for MP abuse, there is none (imo) as officer limits and ship/commodity production are still a thing and require cities or at least buildings. The worst I can imagine is making a tool to quickly generate military missions from a starmap file, and even then I'd guess Haxus would be all for such creativity. Keeping some player action to load it into each ship would be a must tho, for balance.

And even if multiplayer is a thing. The host/players will just have to make rules and moderate their game.
For example the players could promise not to do it, and get kicked from the game if they do.

Some features could just have it be a server side setting, allowing the features like this and starmap export to be disabled.

The road to and after any kinda of multiplayer feature will bring plenty of these issues up in time. But plenty of these issues can also be moderated by players themselves when we find out how to even play the game in whatever multiplayer feature we get.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(03-20-2023, 09:11 PM)Neils Iyssada Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 06:30 PM)Celarious Wrote: Sure, it might be fine in SP, except new people will just immediately look up an "optimal gameplay" guide, do it, and then think that the game is too easy, shallow and non-interactive, and then complain here on the forums or on Steam reviews
I see why you say this, but minmaxers will minmax regardless. Modern mainstream gaming is all about META.

I don't see the point to cancel an interesting feature just because some players can't play without their holy meta. As for MP abuse, there is none (imo) as officer limits and ship/commodity production are still a thing and require cities or at least buildings. The worst I can imagine is making a tool to quickly generate military missions from a starmap file, and even then I'd guess Haxus would be all for such creativity. Keeping some player action to load it into each ship would be a must tho, for balance.
Yeah true, the officer limit is definitely still a big factor there

And yeah true there'll always be minmaxing, I remember the colony calculator for quickly plopping down perfect cities with the old tile worlds, guess it probably wouldn't be as bad in hazeron as it would be in other games due to the far less linear nature of it

(03-20-2023, 09:51 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 06:30 PM)Celarious Wrote: Also, what if we ever get MP play? That's even more problematic
(03-20-2023, 09:11 PM)Neils Iyssada Wrote: As for MP abuse, there is none (imo) as officer limits and ship/commodity production are still a thing and require cities or at least buildings. The worst I can imagine is making a tool to quickly generate military missions from a starmap file, and even then I'd guess Haxus would be all for such creativity. Keeping some player action to load it into each ship would be a must tho, for balance.
Some features could just have it be a server side setting, allowing the features like this and starmap export to be disabled.

Honestly, a big list of server side settings would be the best way to do the MP functionality, give the most amount of customization for people who want specific types of gameplay
You could even have a server browser (or something similar) that lists which features each server has enabled, to make it easier to find one you'd be interested in
What even

(03-13-2023, 12:33 PM)Celarious Wrote: In WoW you're expected to always optimize and download a list of addons to make dungeons and raids a lot easier,

This only true for a very high end content (read: challenges), where you naturally need to micromanage every movement. But even in a regular endgame content, it is perfectly viable to have no addons and still perform adequately to the raid's expectations.

I've intentionally limited the number of addons I'm using to the most essential. Which is, largely, a presentation of the same information in a more clear and concise way.