Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Import/Export Ship Missions

I think that it would be really nice to be able to import and export ship missions to a file, from the Spacecraft Mission window.

This would allow an external tool to do some cool things, like generate a mission that sends a ship to explore every system in a specified sector, or harvest a resource at the highest quality you've found.

Honestly I think this is a bit too easy, it'll just turn the optimal gameplay into "download tool, use tool, now you have all Q255", like WoW had with addons or tarkov with cheats
What even

(03-11-2023, 08:31 PM)Celarious Wrote: Honestly I think this is a bit too easy, it'll just turn the optimal gameplay into "download tool, use tool, now you have all Q255", like WoW had with addons or tarkov with cheats

That's fair, I guess it depends on which direction Haxus wants to go with gameplay decisions like this and allowing external tools.
Personally, in games that support automation, I find making those tools to be part of the fun. The idea came about when I was queueing up a bunch of repetitive exploration orders earlier, and just found it to be a bit tedious.

(03-11-2023, 08:31 PM)Celarious Wrote: Honestly I think this is a bit too easy, it'll just turn the optimal gameplay into "download tool, use tool, now you have all Q255", like WoW had with addons or tarkov with cheats

How so? I'm not familiar with tarkov, but I can speak for WoW and SoH, and your statement doesn't sound correct for me.

(03-13-2023, 08:19 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote:

How so? I'm not familiar with tarkov, but I can speak for WoW and SoH, and your statement doesn't sound correct for me.

In WoW you're expected to always optimize and download a list of addons to make dungeons and raids a lot easier, along with gear optimization and minmaxing, and it got so common that Blizzard now design new content around the assumption that everybody has these addons, making "vanilla" players basically useless... I heard people don't get accepted to groups unless they have these optimal gearsets and BiS loadouts, and helpers like DBM too, or even stuff like parses which I see arguments about constantly

It kinda makes sense from a guild perspective, why handicap yourself or recruit weaker players right? Use all tools to minmax as much as possible, path of least resistance etc

(I don't actually play so this is all what I've heard about it)
What even

It is a singleplayer game now. It isn't bad to allow some minor cheating like that.

It is not like this would allow anything more than to execute large scale surveying missions. The player will still need to make the colonies and everything else.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(03-20-2023, 05:45 PM)Deantwo Wrote:

It is a singleplayer game now. It isn't bad to allow some minor cheating like that.

It is not like this would allow anything more than to execute large scale surveying missions. The player will still need to make the colonies and everything else.

You appear to have forgotten that harvesting orders exist, colonies won't ever be needed
What even

(03-20-2023, 05:59 PM)Celarious Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 05:45 PM)Deantwo Wrote: It is not like this would allow anything more than to execute large scale surveying missions. The player will still need to make the colonies and everything else.

You appear to have forgotten that harvesting orders exist, colonies won't ever be needed

That is true, I never think about those because they are not reliable in the long-term.

I guess in theory you could download blueprints for some huge harvester exploration ships, building the needed industry to manufacture them, and then colonize a ringworld to get enough officers to man them. Then you could use this feature to export your starmap, run it through a program to generate some missions for the ships to execute, and then repeat that until you have found the resources. Once perfect/desired resources are found you could make the program generate the harvesting orders for the ships, or instruct the player on how to colonize the solar system.

Still doesn't sound horrible, the player still needs to play the game and actually build up. But as I said, it singleplayer now, so it doesn't really matter.

(03-20-2023, 06:24 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 05:59 PM)Celarious Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 05:45 PM)Deantwo Wrote: It is not like this would allow anything more than to execute large scale surveying missions. The player will still need to make the colonies and everything else.

That is true, I never think about those because they are not reliable in the long-term.

I guess in theory you could download blueprints for some huge harvester exploration ships, building the needed industry to manufacture them, and then colonize a ringworld to get enough officers to man them. Then you could use this feature to export your starmap, run it through a program to generate some missions for the ships to execute, and then repeat that until you have found the resources. Once perfect/desired resources are found you could make the program generate the harvesting orders for the ships, or instruct the player on how to colonize the solar system.

Still doesn't sound horrible, the player still needs to play the game and actually build up. But as I said, it singleplayer now, so it doesn't really matter.

Nah, more likely is there'll be some "perfectly minmaxed optimal" harvester design created, and you'll only need one, set that up and click "go", leave it open for a week, and the game plays itself, path of least resistance, metagaming is inevitable if the option exists
The only infrastructure they'd need is their starting planet and moon, and then that's it, no ringworlds or further colonization needed

Really, you don't even need cargo ships at all, simply tow a harvester station over the planets you want and it can send shipments back
A friend did this when they played Starship last year and they claim it worked perfectly, no colonies needed

Sure, it might be fine in SP, except new people will just immediately look up an "optimal gameplay" guide, do it, and then think that the game is too easy, shallow and non-interactive, and then complain here on the forums or on Steam reviews
Also, what if we ever get MP play? That's even more problematic

The core problem is the fact that people WILL optimize the fun out of a game if possible, and then complain about the fact that they've done so. The only solution is to not let them
What even

(03-20-2023, 06:30 PM)Celarious Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 06:24 PM)Deantwo Wrote: Still doesn't sound horrible, the player still needs to play the game and actually build up. But as I said, it singleplayer now, so it doesn't really matter.

Sure, it might be fine in SP, except new people will just immediately look up an "optimal gameplay" guide, do it, and then think that the game is too easy, shallow and non-interactive, and then complain here on the forums or on Steam reviews
Also, what if we ever get MP play? That's even more problematic

The core problem is the fact that people WILL optimize the fun out of a game if possible, and then complain about the fact that they've done so. The only solution is to not let them

What I am missing is the reason someone would go to the length of doing all this. There is no end goal in the game, which is an issue even without this theorized level of automation. The alternative is people complaining about the grind, like you literally just did on the Discord server when you asked for a way to quickly create sector-wide surveying missions.

Players can optimize the fun out of a game if possible, which could be bad if they get bored after skipping the harder parts. But Hazeron, if they don't want to colonize worlds or manufacture spacecraft, I don't know why they would play the game in the first place. But let the players enjoy the game however they want.