Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Extremely bad ringworld performance due to trees

Just found a ringworld in Starship, and beamed down to the surface. Immediately got extremely bad performance, around 10FPS. I get decent performance in every other system (aside from asteroid belts, there's a separate bug report for that) and on any other planet, with the same settings, so this sticks out to me as a bug.

I also only post this as a potential bug because in the past ringworlds were perfectly fine, with worse hardware than I have now

From testing, I've narrowed the cause down to the tree view range setting by turning down each scene setting to the minimum and restarting the game. No other setting comes close to hitting my FPS this hard, not even grass quantity and detailed terrain range being set to max

Also, despite the low in-game FPS, my GPU and CPU usage never actually went above 35% which seems strange:
[Image: OwUmSn8.png]
[Image: 4EJsnkA.png]

If it helps, I beamed down to the ringworld at system WQD'RZ'L'h, arc 5 zone 2, map co-ordinates 63.79W, 22.51N

Edit: This also appears to at least partially be caused by "Near Worlds" rendering, switch b20
What even

Is this the only "planet" in the system?

Yep, nothing else there
What even

Same here. Performance improves if you use top-down view or look at object (motorbike, building, aircraft)
Report or Exploit