Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2023-02-13 Stack Size, Save Games

Stack Size
A crash was reported due to a stack overflow.

Stack size was increased in the Windows builds, both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Save Game
Partial save of current game on exit reported to break saved game files.

Game saves are now performed using a QSaveFile object. It is intended to handle the issues involved.

Game Save Files
Recently it was desirable for a player to send a copy of their saved game, to debug an issue. Unfortunately there is no obvious way to do this. He ended up sending the entire 'Hazeron Starship' folder, which is overkill.

The list of saved games at the beginning now has an option to save a game to a file and to restore the current game from a file. You pick the file.

In doing this I found it helpful to add an entry for the 'Current Game' to that list. In the player's case, there were no other saved games except the current game. Previously no list was shown when that was the case, making it impossible to save the current game to a file.

Thank you for the work! The QSaveFile change is big, means no more huge progress losses hopefully! Also the restoring from a file seems useful, especially for transferring saves around, alongside the save list
What even

Thank you

Heart 
Haxus when are you going to expand the reproduction system and let avatars get boipreggers? My male supersoldier genestocks with really good DNA rolls aren't going to peg themselves.

(02-13-2023, 10:07 PM)Haxus Wrote: Save Game

Game Save Files

On the topic of multiple save games and game save files. If it isn't too much work, it would be really good to have some way of merging two separate save games into one. It should be possible in theory, unless both save games have the same solar systems generated. I can imagine it being a headache to change IDs of atoms and blueprints in this function though.

I guess the idea would mainly be interesting if some form of multiplayer is implemented later. And I have some silly idea of it being fun to resolve merge conflicts of solar systems that have been generated in both save games.

Anyway, just dreaming a bit.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Question about the new "save current game to a file" function, is there a different kind of compression being used for it? I noticed that the output file is less than a quarter of the size of the current active save file, but seems to hold the same data, in my case 98MB compared to 428MB, and returns to that full size once restored
What even

I also added an hourly auto save but it has not been posted yet.

The saved game files are compressed, unlike the regular checkpoint saves.

I have thought about the merge function quite a bit. It would not be hard to do. I thought it would be a fun way to join a multi player game, by bringing your empire with you.

The reproduction system is completely nerfed. It would give the game an adult rating. That isn’t the intended audience.

(02-14-2023, 02:52 PM)Haxus Wrote: I also added an hourly auto save but it has not been posted yet.

The saved game files are compressed, unlike the regular checkpoint saves.

Ah nice, thank you! The compression is very helpful for backups and such, and looking forward to the autosave

By the way, it seems that buildings uploaded to the workshop reveal the HTML parts of the description, see the following two workshop designs:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2933411922
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2933417820
[Image: HXvNZPu.png]

This doesn't seem to be a problem for spacecraft designs. I know you said you fixed something related to this, so I'm not sure if I did something wrong but wanted to let you know about it regardless, I'm on the latest available Steam patch
What even