Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Starship?
I think a good way to balance the freedom that comes with the new designer and making the game approachable for new players would be to have a better set of standard buildings/ships that would cover a high percentage of new players' needs. Just having "official" basic buildings of various sizes, like 10/20/50/100 up to 1k for factories, 10k for apartments, and 10/20/50/100 for farms/mines would be a big help for new players who would otherwise be overwhelmed by the number of options in the building exchange.

Similar idea for ships. A few basic ships, ranging from a 1,000 m^3 shuttle to a 1,000,000 m^3 capital ship, and would by default have one weapon/harvester, and the option of having shields/transporters or not. Maybe my harvester doesn't need a shield, and maybe the Ioplasma in my home system is low quality and I want to harvest a ton of it from a neighboring system before I build any ship with transporters. Also this has probably been stated before, but we should be able to change which weapon or FTL module we're using without deallocating all the space for it, removing the station for that module, and adding another. That's something I frequently wanted to do with the ships from the exchange.

On a side note, is there any way to get the buildings from the online game's exchange into Hazeron Starship?
(12-30-2022, 09:03 PM)Giovanni Wrote: On a side note, is there any way to get the buildings from the online game's exchange into Hazeron Starship?

Haxus is working on implementing Steam Workshop support. This will hopefully not be an issue once that is implemented.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Giovanni, if you need something in the mean time. Henri posted a dump of his buildings. They can be modified and tailored as needed.
At least it something. 

https://www.hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=2564

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
(12-30-2022, 10:29 PM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: Giovanni, if you need something in the mean time. Henri posted a dump of his buildings. They can be modified and tailored as needed.
At least it something. 

https://www.hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=2564

Thank you, those will help a lot.
Probably super late to the party here...

But I think one of the biggest hurdles right now is the designer.
It kind of killed the game for me.

As it felt like I wasn't able to create anything for myself anymore, and had to only rely on the other amazingly talented people who uploaded stuff for the rest of us.

And it wasn't a lack of trying. I've spent countless hours in both the designer and Blender, just trying to create something. And wrap my head around it all.
Never got anything remotely working.

I got the hulls for the most part. But then it just falls apart.

And another thing I really liked about the old designer. Every room, was actually a real a proper space you could walk into. Such as for buildings on the ground, you could actually walk inside all of them.
And you could actually explore every inch of every ship.

Now, hardly any buildings have any interior design. Because it's just wasted time and effort. And the ships only have very minimal interior space, because of the same reasons.
Not blaming the creators for that, because it's very understandable. It's a lot of work, for not much gain.

I do like the freedom the new designer offers, in terms of what you could build.
But the learning curve is just too steep, so said freedom becomes nothing but a distant dream. For those of use who hasn't mastered 3D art.
I understand the frustration. If you struggle using the designer, and you love designing things in games, you're going to be left out. On the other-hand, the new designer allows for much more complex blueprints. I can see why some people prefer it now.

I think it will be critical for Haxus to put up a Hazeron Workshop page on Steam. I think once that happens we will see an explosion of new designs from talented fans and we will have no end to really cool blueprints to use. So for me personally (as a poor graphic designer), I think this problem gets solved by others.

I always bring up the example of Empyrion: Galactic Surival - that game has a massive community of designers and there are some truly amazing designs you can find on the Workshop. This makes me really excited to see what people can make once Hazeron comes out.
Haxus has said many times that the designer is only barely functional, meaning that it isn't going to stay exactly as it is. At least I am hoping that given enough time the new designer will be as easy to use as the old designer was.

This can be achieved in different ways. My favorite idea for the designer is to get a "simple mode" that allows us to just draw a floor plan and have the designer automatically create the rooms, room voids, doors and walk paths. Another alternative is to just release the blueprint file specifications and allow people to try their hand at making an external thrid-party designer or a converter for old ship designs.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo