Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Deployable Parts in the Ship Designer & Custom Shield Sections

(07-05-2022, 07:14 AM)AnrDaemon Wrote: They will turn around the axles where the arms attached to the hull, and crash into the hull, destroying the craft. At best. At worst, they will turn around the axle where they are attached to the extension arm, wreak the arms and fly away, leaving the ship stranded in the hyperspace without any way or chance for return. This is what happens when sci-fi is filmed by scientists and fantasts, without consultation with a simple technician.

... You're really nitpicking the GIF I used, which is the only real gif of any media ever with a deployable FTL Drive, because it's unrealistic science fiction?

Alright, then.. let's start the dress down:

Firstly, if you knew anything about Star Trek, you'd know that the FTL used by the federation in that universe doesn't impose any force onto the spacecraft as it generates it's warp field. See the link to learn more.

Secondly, even IF the warp drives in Star Trek exerted a small amount of force upon the ship, you'd only need to create a linkage that is able to support the mass of the ship multiplied by the force being exerted by the warp nacelles as they engage (plus an engineering safety factor). If this was the case, you'd probably be able to still use the linkage shown in the gif because that thing is massive. It looks like its 1-2ft in diameter.

Thirdly, in the scenario where Warp Nacelles exerted force equal to their actual acceleration, literally no material or substance or anything in known science would be able to hold those bad boys in place - no matter where they were placed in the spacecraft. Attached on the side, shoved in the back, it doesn't matter - you and the entire star system you lived in no longer exist as all that matter in your spacecraft is instantly converted to light. Sci-fi is called Science Fiction because we suspend most disbelief because otherwise we'd be stuck in the boring hardspace universe we exist in - where space magic doesn't exist and if you want to travel to the next star system you need a generation ship and hundreds of years. That doesn't really make for a fun universe colonization game.

Fourthly,
Star Trek DID hire technical advice support. Andre Bormanis was the science consultant for Star Trek: First Contact, which is where the gif is from. He looks qualified enough just going off his page.

Lastly, your input has no contribution to this actual suggestion, since if the spacecraft designer really cared about physics that much, they'd make their spaceship have a different motion of deployment. I recommend you stop trying to steer this thread off track. I'd like to only hear substantial input on the game suggestion I provided.
[Image: ffoapb.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: More Deployable Parts in the Ship Designer & Custom Shield Sections - by Tipper - 07-05-2022, 12:39 PM