Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to solve the "sticking to the roof" issue?
Hello,

Is there a way I can make a ship design in a manner that doesn't result in me sticking to the roof and suffocating in the ship I'm making? It seems to be a persistent problem with only some of the ships I use and the one I'm making is also having this problem.

I'm guessing theres some way to make the room voids better so this doesn't happen, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Any veteran ship designers know how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Tipper
Sticking to the roof? What do you mean? You mean when you try to walk on top of the ship? Pictures might help a lot in explaining what you mean.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
So when I'm in a room void in the ship - if I jump up until I hit the roof, I would get "stuck" to the roof and I wouldn't fall down. After a couple seconds I start to suffocate. Recalling home gets me unstuck, else I'd die.

I'll try to post a gif/video later when I get back to the house, though considering I've had this issue pretty often, I imagine I can't be the first one to see it.
I just wanted to provide an update post, since I've slammed my head into the wall and figured out a solution to the problem.

If you want to avoid sticking to the roof while jumping, you can create a barrier at the very top of the room void that extend up past the top of the room itself. This prevents the player from getting jammed out-of-bounds.
It seems this should be done by the engine automatically, no?
Still seems like a weird issue. I haven't had that issue in other ships, so it might just be the way you designed your ship?

Is the room void maybe very close to the edge of the hull or something?
A room void can't be inside-out, right?
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Sounds like you had the grid pointed the wrong way when creating the room
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!
(06-25-2022, 02:02 PM)Greydog Wrote: Sounds like you had the grid pointed the wrong way when creating the room

Currently in the process of making my next ship design and I tried to implement your advice and flipped all my rooms upside down (where they were created pointing in the Real Z down, but with their gravity pointing in the Real Z up) - that didn't work , so now I'm remaking ~20 room voids and thought to ensure that no lurking ship designers follow this logic.

Looking back at it, it doesn't make sense to make a room void in a the opposite direction of the real Z, then have the real Z be the direction of gravity.

For future designers looking at this thread, please avoid the quoted line of thought and use barriers placed at the roofs of the room (extending past said room void's limits) when overcoming this issue - it appears to be 100% consistent in solving the problem.
[Image: ffoapb.gif]
(07-04-2022, 01:33 AM)Tipper Wrote: For future designers looking at this thread, please avoid the quoted line of thought and use barriers placed at the roofs of the room (extending past said room void's limits) when overcoming this issue - it appears to be 100% consistent in solving the problem.

hey what a good guy sharing info I figured to use barriers myself just never actually bothered to since its a pain and i just don't jump indoors instead lol
(06-25-2022, 01:32 PM)Deantwo Wrote: Still seems like a weird issue. I haven't had that issue in other ships, so it might just be the way you designed your ship?

Is the room void maybe very close to the edge of the hull or something?
A room void can't be inside-out, right?

Can confirm this still consistently happens with every design on the workshop, flying upwards into any roof causes you to get stuck in the ceiling, start taking vacuum damage (if ship is in space) and you have to recall away

A similar-ish issue is how you can't walk on the top of voids, so if you wanna create walkable roofs, you have to use barriers as the roof/flooring, as Haxus does for his designs
What even