Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022-05-06 Bug Fixes
(05-10-2022, 09:31 PM)Nightwalker Wrote: ... the last straw for me. ...

I think we all know there are a lot of bug rights now. But posting a rant about them here with no useful information isn't going to help much. At least half those issues are on the list I just linked to Haxus earlier in this thread, so be patient and let him take a look at it.

You aren't be the first to rage-quit because of bugs, and you likely won't be the last. You have made bug reports for some of these issues, so given time I am sure they will be fixed. You can help by making your bug reports better and help test it if you want.

For example I was trying to reproduce one of your bug report earlier, but I can't seem trigger a crash as you described. Maybe you can help narrow down the cause?
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(05-06-2022, 11:07 PM)Haxus Wrote: Motor Bike and Space Rocket Insanity
I entered a new motor bike and a new space rocket. In each case I was suddenly viewing the world from orbit. Once I turned on the power my view was restored to the proper position in the driver's seat of the vehicle.

Fixed.

This does not seem fully fixed. When I enter a newly built space vehicle, my camera view starts to drift away from the vehicle. Looks kinda like it is moving away along the planet's movement and rotation, so maybe it is fixed to the solar system's exact coordinates at the time the vehicle is created, rather than the coordinates relative to the world it is on.
(05-11-2022, 10:29 AM)Deantwo Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 09:31 PM)Nightwalker Wrote: ... the last straw for me. ...

I think we all know there are a lot of bug rights now. But posting a rant about them here with no useful information isn't going to help much. At least half those issues are on the list I just linked to Haxus earlier in this thread, so be patient and let him take a look at it.

You aren't be the first to rage-quit because of bugs, and you likely won't be the last. You have made bug reports for some of these issues, so given time I am sure they will be fixed. You can help by making your bug reports better and help test it if you want.

For example I was trying to reproduce one of your bug report earlier, but I can't seem trigger a crash as you described. Maybe you can help narrow down the cause?

You mean hanging when removing items from the ship's hold? It happens very often with the Linux client at least. Manipulating items in the ship's hold will cause the client to freeze if the 3d scene windows is open. If I'm taking items out of the hold either to put in my own inventory, or using the "unit" window to tell crew/troops to equip items from the hold, 9 times out of 10 it locks up and the client stops responding. I often have to issue commands in "Commander" which gives me just the text interface and minimal graphics to manipulate items in the hold. Only issue is, when you're in the "commander" mode, your avatar exists, it just can't interact with the world, but can still get chewed up by whatever monsters spawn through your hull doors.

Ships ending up in limbo can be resolved by doing a simple periodic check to see how far a ship traveled in a given time. If the distance traveled is inanely far, just warp the ship back to the last known good location, or 1000m above the normal orbit altitude in some random location around the planet -- it would be far better to fix the issue (probably a race condition, or data structures not being properly initialized), but at least we'll stop loosing ships and give the server a chance to  automatically log any instances where this happens to help with debugging.

I'll admit... I've been thinking about firing the game up again heh. The new bugs are extremely annoying, and I get it we're basically being used as a free QA team at this time owing to an extremely small dev team. But, honestly, it is pretty annoying when you spend 6 hours rebuilding a colony, and then your ship leaves the surface and jumps right into limbo. I've already lost a few ships to this.
Moving forward thru all the bugs and glitches and odd little idiosyncrasies can actually be considered gameplay in Hazeron. I look at it as being akin to playing Civ City with natural disasters turned on high.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!
(05-12-2022, 10:48 PM)Nightwalker Wrote: Ships ending up in limbo can be resolved by doing a simple periodic check to see how far a ship traveled in a given time.

I would suggest avoid using the word "limbo" without specifying what you mean. The original meaning of "limbo" was that the atom (avatar, ship, etc) got lost during transfer from one server to another, this meant it was basically not being simulated on any server at all, hence the therm "limbo".
See: hazeron.com/wiki/Limbo

What that bug is doing specifically is corrupting the location of the spacecraft. It is most likely an integer rollover in the math during changing of scene from world relative-coordinates to solar system relative-coordinates or similar minor transitions. The weirdest part is how the ship ends up that crazy amount of distance from the center of the solar system without triggering a solar system scene change, but of course a ship was never supposed to be able to get that far away from the solar system's center so some weirdness should be expected.
We seem to have somewhat gotten to call this bug "yeeting" or something like that, since the ship is literally just thrown far away.

Anyway, sorry I got into a rant. I suggest we go to the actual bug report threads if we want to continue this discussion.