Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022-03-10 Server Load
Thank you for all your work Haxus! I look forward to playing once the lag is mostly at bay lol.

Asteroids aren't something we need to worry about, right? Mine was scheduled for yesterday but my home system has been very uneventful; it would be nice if it decided not to show due to the lag, since destroying it would be something of an ordeal at the moment.
Thank you Haxus.
[Image: unknown.png]
(03-11-2022, 01:00 AM)Haxus Wrote: The number of worker servers increased from 9 to 17.

Eight of the servers, the R815s and R820s, have four ethernet ports. On each of those, I split the CPU cores between two server processes. Each of them uses a different ethernet port to divide up the traffic.

This was an incidental change. I don't know if it had much affect on the server load. We'll see. 

Interesting. That could have quite the effect since the buss topology is split 4 ways on those R815 servers. My fingers are crossed too.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
(03-11-2022, 01:11 AM)Kida Wrote: Asteroids aren't something we need to worry about, right? Mine was scheduled for yesterday but my home system has been very uneventful; it would be nice if it decided not to show due to the lag, since destroying it would be something of an ordeal at the moment.

Same for us have 3 ship on stand by for it and it is late.

Yes i know 3 ship for the asteroid is over kill but with all the not responding ship we had during the past week we wanted to be sure one will react.

(03-11-2022, 12:48 AM)Haxus Wrote: First restart today there were no changes. While waiting for the servers to shut down, I was testing on the debug servers. There were serious problems so I just restarted the servers without updating them.

Server load is definitely better now.

Tomorrow I will go after the various issues that have been reported.

Perhaps maybe a cron setup to do a daily server restart would help out?
(03-10-2022, 11:55 PM)Haxus Wrote: This change can be undone completely if it's a total disaster.
I wish some of the devs of my other favourite games had this mentality.
(03-11-2022, 06:53 AM)zephar Wrote:
(03-11-2022, 12:48 AM)Haxus Wrote: First restart today there were no changes. While waiting for the servers to shut down, I was testing on the debug servers. There were serious problems so I just restarted the servers without updating them.

Server load is definitely better now.

Tomorrow I will go after the various issues that have been reported.

Perhaps maybe a cron setup to do a daily server restart would help out?

While I do agree with regular and routine reboots of certain systems in the IT world, the problem I often find with daily reboots is it ignores the overall problem. It sounds like there is a need for online maintenance routines. For Example, unload solar systems that have not been queried for x amount of minutes/hours. That would go a long way. Systems that are regularly used would stay in active memory. 

Little things like that might be all that is needed.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
(03-11-2022, 12:08 AM)Athena Wrote: Why don't systems that aren't in use simply get unloaded until someone enters them, or if loading times are a problem, enters a neighboring system? Even decay wouldn't be necessary if systems and cities that entered the decaying state just stopped being loaded.

(03-11-2022, 12:18 AM)martianant Wrote: Also, 270k systems? There is no way they all need to be loaded and calculated right? There are 414 avatars and 110 officers. If we assume all are in separate systems, that's only 524 systems with something in them. Why are the rest loaded and taking up processing time? We must be misunderstanding what you meant by "managing" 270k systems...

Agreed with this. It did seem very strange that on the very third day of the universe, there were over 100k active systems reported on the standings. It doesn't seem possible that this many systems are actively in use after that many days, so I'm thinking there must be a bug somewhere causing systems to not unload properly
What even
Athena had all her alts on at once ;)
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!
Thank you Haxus for looking into this issue.
As of right now it is still totally unplayable. Been getting a few seconds of activity, then minutes of stuck.