Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022-03-01 Game On Line Again
The game is back on line again.

There was considerable resistance today. I wasn't sure if things were going to come together. Suddenly, everything was working.

I'll spend some time tomorrow looking at other build platforms, as suggested in the server updates thread.

I'll also get busy putting back the account stuff on the web page, so you can control your account and password. For now you must remember your old login name and password if you want to play.

One thing that has not been restored is the empire standings report and avatar pages. Part of me says this is too much information to give away. Any opinions?
(03-01-2022, 11:01 PM)Haxus Wrote: One thing that has not been restored is the empire standings report and avatar pages. Part of me says this is too much information to give away. Any opinions?
Exactly this. Empire standings is fine, but avatar pages were giving out too much intel.
Heart 
Check your saved passwords in your browser for hazeron.com
[Image: fYKwH5V.png]
Definitely enjoyed empire standings.
I also enjoy the avatar pages. It let me make a pretty map of where people spawned. There are potential malicious uses for that info though. I feel like the only problematic info to share was the Home location, and honestly only when people left their system unnamed since it was their coordinates. I mean I liked it, but it meant you could find people if you wanted to be mean about it.
(03-01-2022, 11:03 PM)Neils Iyssada Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 11:01 PM)Haxus Wrote: One thing that has not been restored is the empire standings report and avatar pages. Part of me says this is too much information to give away. Any opinions?
Exactly this. Empire standings is fine, but avatar pages were giving out too much intel.

I agree. It makes the hunt more fun.
Wish I was home so I could join. Well considering the universe opened at midnight my time and I have work in the morning I couldn't have joined too much anyway.

Hopefully I will be home and able to use my computer again next week, but can't say for sure yet.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(03-02-2022, 12:30 AM)Deantwo Wrote: Wish I was home so I could join. Well considering the universe opened at midnight my time and I have work in the morning I couldn't have joined too much anyway.

Hopefully I will be home and able to use my computer again next week, but can't say for sure yet.

I'll keep the inferno planets warm for ya.
Thank you Athena. I sent a pm to Haxus before reading that he would be working on accounts later. Thank you for the reminder about browser passwords. I will try this when I get home later.
Regarding avatar status, there was indeed an issue where people were able to look at the hash for the home system and then derive coordinates from it (i believe this issue goes away as soon as they pick out a home system name but people mining that data are free to periodically poll and get the hash version if they catch someone around account creation time, and to then save that). I would suggest greatly simplifying the avatar page to reduce intel value so that there are just a couple of basic facts and then bring it back up.

Perhaps something like avatar name, avatar hash (that UID thingy), empire, flag, last online time.
(03-02-2022, 03:19 AM)QuakeIV Wrote: Regarding avatar status, there was indeed an issue where people were able to look at the hash for the home system and then derive coordinates from it (i believe this issue goes away as soon as they pick out a home system name but people mining that data are free to periodically poll and get the hash version if they catch someone around account creation time, and to then save that).  I would suggest greatly simplifying the avatar page to reduce intel value so that there are just a couple of basic facts and then bring it back up.

Perhaps something like avatar name, avatar hash (that UID thingy), empire, flag, last online time.
Sick Sick
[Image: signat10.jpg]