Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giant ship creation
Question 
What's the best way to make ships with >= 10^9 volume? Saw ships and stations before with such volumes back in SoH. Whenever I try to make similar giant ships, game starts to eat through my RAM and takes forever to finalize ship. On Windows it can somewhat finalize ship after an enormously long time with all this RAM eating, but on Linux it gets automatically closed when RAM+Swap limit is reached, making it impossible to finalize ship.
Tried to use trick with stacking cubes inside hull before, only increased volume by around 10%, which is not much. This way, finalization took longer than without them.
I don't know how the volume calculation works, but it certainly isn't "intelligent" : a simple cube can take a long time to process.
So don't try the cube inside cubes inside cubes, it isn't worth the computing time and increased file size.
Cubes inside cubes was patched not long before the end of last universe.  It used to provide free volume, permitting tardis style ships.  That no longer works.

Another patch later seems to have broken the volume calculation for anything above about 1/3rd of maximum.
Volume seems to be true volume, although the calculation is not efficient at all.  I've found that just about anything over 31Mm^3 fails to finalize in starship, no matter what.  16GB of ram available, and on a machine with 64GB of ram available.

Confirmed this issue with ShoresofHazeron.exe offline designer as well.