Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble Creating Turbo Lifts
I've been following Haxus's Tutorial on Turbo Lifts (several times now) and for some reason I can't seem to get it to work.

- Lift created according to tut.
- Stop created.
- Door cut between lift and Bridge
- Paths created/associated to door
- New stop created (Cargo Bay) ..Header confirms I am at new location
- Lift aligned to Cargo Bay
- Door cut
- Paths created/associated to door

At this point I rt click on the turbo lift icon, it confirms I have 2 stops (Bridge, Cargo Bay) and I am at the cargo bay. 
- I click on bridge and nothing happens. 
- I refresh and header confirms I am at the bridge but lift car is still at cargo bay
- I'm using off line designer that came with U6 with a working preview .. Preview starts me on the bridge. I can open the lift door but there is no car behind it.

I have literally deleted everything and redone the tutorial 4 times. I cannot get that car to move.

edit* https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/2...ulti-c.SoH

I'm out of ideas, any help is appreciated.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!
How are you moving the Lift between stops? The video tutorial is from before the specific "Align Turbo Lift" tool was implemented, if you use the normal "Align Object" tool to move the lift it will not work.

See: (Update thread) 2019-02-18 Designer
(02-18-2019, 03:27 PM)Haxus Wrote: Designer Rename Lift Stop
Rename lift stop command needed.

Right-click menu on turbo lift in parts tree now has an option to rename a lift stop. Any lift door with the same name is also renamed at the same time.

Designer Align Turbo Lift
It seems odd that turbo stops, which are treated as states of the turbo lift object, do not behave the same as other similar items. the turrets moved fine, the gun states moved with the base states. but yet the turbo stops don't move with the design.

Turbo lifts now act like all other parts when dragged or moved. Transformations apply to all states of the turbo lift equally.

The Parts|Align Turbo Lift command was added to align a turbo lift stop. It moves only the current stop. It is the ONLY way to move a turbo lift stop without affecting the other stops.

While it seemed clever to allow movement of the turbo lift to affect only the current stop, that behavior was not compatible with other behavior expected by users, such as when copying/pasting a drawing, or rotating a design that was drawn in the wrong direction.

I will remake the relevant video when time permits.

This is commented on the tutorial video on YouTube too, if you bother reading it.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
I had a feeling there was a change there somewhere. It's amazing how someone's blindness increases in conjunction with their frustration level.  .. I didn't see that even though I had clicked the "associate parts" button which is just below it a couple dozen times ..lol

The silver lining is I got a lot of reps in the lift building process ;)

TYVM Deantwo
I have the lifts in and can get them to move using the parts menu icon. But If I get in the lift while previewing I can find no option to choose a stop.

Is that something that doesn't show up until you build it? (like lights)
(02-28-2022, 10:11 PM)Greydog Wrote: I have the lifts in and can get them to move using the parts menu icon. But If I get in the lift while previewing I can find no option to choose a stop.

Is that something that doesn't show up until you build it? (like lights)

It turns out that the lifts room void had some how gotten deleted. My void for the door was larger than it needed to be so I never noticed.

Had to delete everything and start over.
I can't seem to find any documentation on how to get your crew to use the turbolifts I make in the ship. Is there a way to have the crew path through the Turbolifts or do I just need to make all my crew have berths in the same spot as their stations?
(06-22-2022, 01:09 AM)Tipepr Wrote: I can't seem to find any documentation on how to get your crew to use the turbolifts I make in the ship. Is there a way to have the crew path through the Turbolifts or do I just need to make all my crew have berths in the same spot as their stations?

Merged thread with existing turbo lift thread for convince.

We have some documentation for turbo lifts, the first (and slightly outdated) video Haxus did about it.
See: (YouTube) Adding a Turbo Lift to Del Rey Station
The important changes that happened after that video was made are explained in above posts, which is the main reason I merged threads.

There is also a wiki page about it, but it does lack some pictures.
Here: hazeron.com/wiki/Turbo_Lift

Lastly the very very long manual style wiki page has a lot of information and an entry about the turbo lift as well, and even an entry about walk paths.
See: hazeron.com/wiki/Design_Parts#Turbo_Lift
And: hazeron.com/wiki/Designer#Walk_Paths
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Thanks for the merge - a general thread relating to Turbo Lifts is probably the most helpful.

I think my main take-away is that associating a walk path with the turbo lift stop's door may work to resolve this pathing issue?

I guess to more clearer describe the issue I'm having is that my ship I'm making consists of 3 disjunct sections, with only the Turbo Lift connecting them. The crew refusee to path from one section of the ship to the next through the turbo lift.

I'll try the door solution but unless that's been specifically programmed to work like that, it seems to go against the general rules of walk paths needing to be all connected for them to work.
(06-22-2022, 01:36 PM)Tipepr Wrote: Thanks for the merge - a general thread relating to Turbo Lifts is probably the most helpful.

I think my main take-away is that associating a walk path with the turbo lift stop's door may work to resolve this pathing issue?

I guess to more clearer describe the issue I'm having is that my ship I'm making consists of 3 disjunct sections, with only the Turbo Lift connecting them. The crew refusee to path from one section of the ship to the next through the turbo lift.

I'll try the door solution but unless that's been specifically programmed to work like that, it seems to go against the general rules of walk paths needing to be all connected for them to work.

I just wanted to provide an update to anyone in the future who might find this thread:

Associating a path to each door of the turbo lift does, in fact, allow the crew to path through turbo lifts.

Thanks,
Tipper