Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2022-01-13 FYI
Quote:The only other time we've shot at people is when they've been genuinely nasty, bitter, isolationist hermit weirdos, that abused our members.

Can say this sums up U6 in a nutshell.

The only real war we had was with a group of people that started to hit a bunch of vassals who didn't have prior aggression against them.   When we fought back on a ringworld,  They were claiming Dean (or Haxus) would revert what they lost or straight up delete our empire.  We continued and ended up stealing a ship from them that I drove straight to its death an hour later then claimed I somehow abused a bug when the ship, which was a public design, had a design issue.   

The times I did encounter new empires I left alone.   I actually ran into Zoey when he was building up his capital with no airports and said hello then left to leave him alone.   

I don't think any of us want to burn Hazeron to the ground.   My thoughts now are that Hazeron could make a place for itself considering there's a niche people want that Elite is not offering and Star Citizen is just pushing goalposts back.  I was also for some kind of offline protection as well as long it was not abused.
"Goddamn it Snakey quit biting the hull" - Staines
"I played EVE with this fuck and he wouldn't shut the fuck up" -ScottyB

OG Toucan and Syndicate member.
Really excited to hear Hazeron is coming back! Other, similar games just haven't scratched the same itch that this one does. I understand the rationale for keeping it pay to play; I do hope the cost will be a little less this time around though. Maybe $5/month? That's something I can justify alongside my other monthly expenses. My boyfriend and I are excited to create an empire together again.
(02-15-2022, 09:10 PM)OriginalGangstaStaines Wrote: -snip-

I never had any problems, or run in the Syndicate personally. I've mostly just been meme'ing about them and Dean in the Discord.
I always viewed the Syndicate sort of like Borg. Especially in U5. Or like The Code from EVE. (Which is probably the worst from any video game community.)
Where you're just a bunch of memelords looking for the next laugh at someone's expense.

But this kind of puts a whole new fresh perspective on Syndicate. At least for me. And a newfound Respect +1.
And I can see now that my view was wrong and perhaps a bit misguided. And for that, I apologize.

(02-15-2022, 09:10 PM)OriginalGangstaStaines Wrote: they were too prideful to simply hit the "PVP-OFF" button during U5.

Although, I don't know if this is entirely fair to say. The claim was to join us or die. And hitting this "PVP-OFF" button. At least f Empire scoreboard list, they would have placed themselves under you. Instead of being shown as their own independent empire.

And as a Vassal Empire, you kind of have to follow the orders of the leader empire, or face the consequences. And that's not something that's without complete gameplay meaning. (Even though there's no gameplay mechanic implemented for yet.)
You may have chosen not to issue any orders to the vassals. But nothing would have stopped you from doing it either. At least from what I knew back then.

That's at least my 2 cents.
I realize I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm glad to see SoH is back.

I've played off an on since 2013.  My friends and family merely dabbled here and there, kept to ourselves and enjoyed setting up our little empire (IOwnaSphere for those wondering) in the vastness of space without people around.  I will definitely agree that the subscription model will hold many back (including most of my friends), which is why we didn't play in those days.

HOWEVER, some of us are willing to drop big money for lifetime memberships in lieu of a subscription for a game they believe in.  People drop $120 for Flight Simulator without add-ons, and you are limited to one planet with that game.  Others drop $200-$300 for the lifetime membership to Star Trek Online.  (Heck, I've dumped hundreds into office products and they won't let me point a rocket at a moon then jump out midflight while my friend is in the back seat oblivious to the fact he is about to slam into a giant space rock).

My point is, offer alternatives that will still keep the riff-raff out but allow for people to have a choice in a bulk-purchase vs monthly subscription.  As for me, I'll sign up for a $300 one-time purchase to pay for years of development to a game I have returned to several times over the past decade to show how much I appreciate the effort.
I'd buy a lifetime sub.

The only payment model I haven't liked here was the patreon.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!