Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hazeron Servers in the Barn

We went to Denver last week to empty out the server cabinets. It was a whirlwind trip: lots of driving, disassembly of the servers, dinner with the kids and grand kids, then lots more driving back home the next day.

Our half-height server cabinet was wrapped in plastic when it was stored in the barn nine years ago. It almost perfectly accommodated the servers with only one U slot left over.

It makes a nice trophy but I do not plan to add the 10kw of power to the barn that would be needed to turn them all on. That would only be the beginning as HVAC would be needed and and and... Maybe it will find a new home some day but that's not likely.

Nothing has been plugged in yet because the barn is a total disaster at the moment. Lumber is stacked and piled everywhere for a fencing project. Paula and I finally finished staining all the boards yesterday. That was a ton of work, hundreds of boards, scores of heavy 6x6 posts, gallons of wood stain. The server got parked where it wasn't in the way and there it sits until the din subsides to the usual dull roar.

[Image: HazeronServersInBarn1000.png]

This shall be known as the Shores of Hazeron memorial.
You will be missed my dear galactic chat. Rest in limbo-less peace.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Figures...

For some odd reason, at the end of a pretty trash day after failing one of my midterms. I thought of this game, I played nearly a decade ago. I remember when I first booted it up with two of my best online friends Gryphon23 and [EG]JimNNail. The first thing my 12-year-old brain thought about was how "awful" the graphics were. Honestly, I was so close to uninstalling the game and going back to playing Spiral Knights.

But, for some reason, I didn't. I signed up and joined my friend's new empire - I forget the name - as Sgt. Dakota. We were a reptilian race that had dark brown scaley skin, big bug eyes, and dragon wings. For the first few hours I was struggling to keep up with my friends, what do you mean I have to click this Work button to build this Stone Mine? Why do I keep making these plus-signs whenever I make a road? Wait our wings actually work? I was frustrated at first but by the end of the week, I had played at least a good 50 hours of game time. The first hours of a whole summer dedicated to nonstop playing this game.

I remember Gryphon always being concerned about our Quality Levels and why they were always so low, but JimNNail and I we were more about messing around in the Starship Designer trying to figure out why our ships weren't functioning and exploring each planet to the most minute detail. I have four vivid memories that honestly move me emotionally every time I think about them.

- The first spaceflight of our Empire, I was in the backseat of the two-seater Rocket and we lifted off. The sound was unbearable but I was so damn excited I didn't care. As we pointed the rocket to our closest moon, I looked back at the planet we were leaving, our glorious capital city's lights shrinking and shrinking.

- My first time blowing up a ship. We were under attack by pirates in the first day or two of us creating our first functioning spaceship. I let off a shot and the ship exploded in a cloud of Green. The only screenshot I have with my first empire. (https://gyazo.com/96955daedd9f64f3e8b93593649f560f)

- Racing my Friends around the world in our sailboats, only to get bored about 5 minutes into the race, abandoning the ship and flying back home to go fiddle with the new Submarine that had been built.

- And lastly, the last time I talked to my two best friends. We had made it to our first Ring World, when we first saw it we were in awe. I remember as we went through the wormhole (or however you get into the world, I honestly didn't have a clue what was going on) our TeamSpeak went from three ADHD-fueled little shits screaming at each other to "man the turrets" to a brief moment of silence. We immediately sought after colonizing it. We built our city and expanded and expanded. At the airport, there was this little ramp area where we were jumping our Jeeps and motorcycles off of late that last night we played. I was the last one to log off and for some odd reason I can't forget it I just sat there looking up at the sky. Looking at each star and getting giddy about all those worlds out there. That was the last time I played. And that was the last time I was in that TS3 channel.

Now I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes looking at those old servers just knowing the 1's and 0's of those memories were in those servers.

I literally just created this account and I wrote this for no damn reason. But this game is so damn special to me. Thanks for all your work, Haxus and whoever helped create this game.

TL;DR - Got nostalgic looking through old Steam screenshots, came back to see one of my favorite games ever sadly shut down mere weeks before I finally look back at it, I wrote, I cried. Thanks, Haxus, et. al.

My wife made a comment the other day that best sums up my feelings for Hazeron. 30 years of gaming and Hazeron is the only game I always returned too and talked about. I kept comparing other space genera games, sandbox or not, to Hazeron and would constantly say, "Come on, even Hazeron had a better ... mechanism for that".

Looking forward to the future

EDIT: 

Also as a guy who runs servers at home. I would highly recommend upgrading. The link below for example has more horse power than all of that (if you buy all three) and these will only consume about 800-900 watts with decent load on them. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-1U-S...SwZ9Bdi440

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-9270CV-8i-1...2637268247

Personally and professionally I like to deal with these guys. https://www.ebay.com/itm/UXS-Server-1U-S...3196460901?

I'm guessing it's a SATA backplane and not a SAS one. So a SAS to SATA breakout cable would work for the controllers. Reuse any disks that you can. 

Just offering advice  Wink

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]

RIP Shores of Hazeron servers.

[Image: BC5euse.jpg][Image: kskRNux.jpg]
[Image: QmGafAT.jpg][Image: sUehLq0.jpg]
[Image: lfO2JhV.png]
[Image: bWoYlA4.png]
[Image: CbgWant.png]
[Image: Y6ZCkbC.png]