Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2021-01-02 Hazeron Plans for the Future
(01-03-2021, 01:31 AM)Haxus Wrote:
Quote:I'd like to see if it is even feasible to host a small-scale server without breaking the bank

If my 165MB saved game contained only one solar system, and a moderate density sector contained 25 solar systems, that sector would only be 4GB in rough numbers.

In fact, that 165MB file contains all the building and ship designs in the solo design exchange (all designs by Haxus). It also contains all of the solar systems in all of the perimeter sectors to the explored sectors, plus the perimeter sectors, and all twenty one galaxies.

The data load is not that heavy.

I do believe a single computer could host a small scale game for a few people. More CPU cores help.

Thank you, that's extremely helpful. So self-hosted is absolutely in the realm of possibility. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Hazeron Starship and the future of the MMO.
Steam workshop for ships?
We are the Dreadknought Conspiracy. Please discard all further questions.
(01-03-2021, 02:32 AM)Oggal Wrote: Steam workshop for ships?

Yeah having the Blueprint Exchange(s) also work like that would be nice.

Even better as packages, so you can get a while set of building/ship blueprints together.

But since a blueprint can't technically change once finalized and has to be permanently saved once has been in the game once, it might cause some interesting issues if someone keeps changing a blueprint on the Steam Workshop.
Maybe some form of blueprint decay or deletion would be needed to deal with that. I am however assuming a lot here.

Also definitely want those spacecraft manufacturing changes mentioned on my issue list first.
Something similar for buildings would be nice too, but thst is probably a much bigger issue to tackle. I have been complaining about that for a long time now, and I am not sure I even have a good solution for it yet.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Quote:Please consider allowing us to have some form of multiplayer
If this is it, please, please, PLEASE make this possible.
It would certainly be great to put ship and building designs on the workshop. Since some of us simply cannot figure out how to work the current ship designer. Not everyone has the ability to be a 3d designer.  :D
(01-03-2021, 09:24 AM)Nitro2030ce Wrote:
Quote:Please consider allowing us to have some form of multiplayer
If this is it, please, please, PLEASE make this possible.

I can't state how much I want to see this too.  

If things don't go well,  This can be the backup option to where everyone can be happy.  Almost like the MMO with in-game scoreboard / empire list.  Custom options with how the galaxy is generated (large-medium-small) and PVE Universe options.   Haxus can focus on features for both without having a literarily Sword of damocles over expenses. 

I don't know for what the future holds,  but I still think Hazeron can bring people around by be something that you don't see on steam.   Fuck it, I'll buy it day one because this is one of the few things that it still gives me that niche feeling that I love.
"Goddamn it Snakey quit biting the hull" - Staines
"I played EVE with this fuck and he wouldn't shut the fuck up" -ScottyB

OG Toucan and Syndicate member.
(01-04-2021, 07:11 AM)Zensras Wrote: ... Fuck it, I'll buy it day one because this is one of the few things that it still gives me that niche feeling that I love.
 Amen, my dude.

I'm pessimistically optimistic about the future of Hazeron, but as long as its here I'm gonna support it best I can.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(01-03-2021, 12:36 AM)Haxus Wrote:
Quote:Please consider allowing us to have some form of multiplayer.

It would not be difficult at this point to enable the solo client to host logins by other clients. That feature is not essential to releasing the game on Steam so it is not a top priority at the moment.

However, if I decide to take the servers off line, and if Hazeron Starship appears to have some hope of making it on Steam, I will add hosting capability to Hazeron Starship. Then your friends could login to your Hazeron universe and you could play multiplayer with them.

There is also the distant possibility that a miracle will occur and Hazeron Starship will make a lot of money on Steam. If that were to happen, I might just upgrade the servers and keep them running for the fun of it.

There are many possibilities. Months of time will pass before the servers risk shutting down.

Oh yes, please add multiplayer to Hazeron Starship. I firmly believe that with the correct features implemented, including the ability to host, people will buy it and love it.

Small community servers would take the burden from you Haxus. All you would need to do is make it easy to upload log files and universe data via an SFTP (so you can investigate major game-breaking bugs)((only give access after a support ticket has been opened, something like that)). From there you can fix bugs and add features to your heart's content. 

I would also recommend implementing whatever admin tools you have currently into Hazeron Starship so the owners of the hosted game can administrate their environment or appoint others to do so within their community.

EDIT: I was also thinking, to make the official servers a bit more enticing, you could roll new features to that environment first? Just thinking out loud.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
PRIVATE THUNDERDOMES
(01-03-2021, 12:36 AM)Haxus Wrote: I will add hosting capability to Hazeron Starship. Then your friends could login to your Hazeron universe and you could play multiplayer with them.

Yes, please.