Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2021-01-18 Unit Orders Resume, Npcs
Resume on Unit Orders Window
Unit Orders window now has a right-click menu option to show a resume of information about a unit.

Tool tips on units on the Unit Orders window were shortened to show less information.

Story Functions
Some story functions were added to the script engine, to change the role of npcs and to access npcs at stations and posts.

Fixed a problem with sentient functions that caused them to not work on avatars.

Unified Npc Class
Consolidated all the different behaviors of npc's into a single C++ object class. That is: officers, crew, troops, passengers, workers, indigenous, and story characters. This makes them individually more versatile. For now, they should just keep acting like they did before; you should not be able to notice a difference.

It is now possible to change the role of an npc but there is no UI for doing so. Any suggestions? Should I just offer them a berth? Can an indigenous person accept a berth?

Basic Training
Officers, crew and troops are now created with basic training up to their second rank. The first rank will be applied to npc's who suddenly find themselves in the job with no prior training. They will perform poorly. There is currently only one way to create an untrained npc; that is by getting them out of a cryo berth.

Passengers Stopped Taking Orders
Fixed a problem with new npc class implementation.

Startup Buttons
Added a small amount of text to some of the buttons during game startup. These did not always appear to be buttons to first-time players.

Startup Layout
Made some minor changes to the layout of buttons during game startup, to help first-time players.

Solo Create Empire
Fixed a bug that broke creation of a new empire in the solo game.

Crash on Exit
Clients and servers started crashing during program shutdown.

Fixed a class destructor bug, introduced when atom managers were implemented into the solo game.
"Basic Training
Officers, crew and troops are now created with basic training up to their second rank. The first rank will be applied to npc's who suddenly find themselves in the job with no prior training. They will perform poorly. There is currently only one way to create an untrained npc; that is by getting them out of a cryo berth."

I'm guessing this is done via Military HQ and Starbases to actually make them useful?

Also:  Haxus when you get a chance,  there's been some mirco-lag causing problems with AI on MMO making ship travel a pain the ass.
"Goddamn it Snakey quit biting the hull" - Staines
"I played EVE with this fuck and he wouldn't shut the fuck up" -ScottyB

OG Toucan and Syndicate member.
(01-18-2021, 07:59 PM)Haxus Wrote: Startup Layout
Made some minor changes to the layout of buttons during game startup, to help first-time players.

Not as stylish as the suggestion I made a couple years ago, but better than it was before.
See: https://www.hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=836

Might also do the same to the next version of the MMO launcher.
Ikkir made a nice example for it a while back: https://www.hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=480
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(01-18-2021, 08:41 PM)Zensras Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 07:59 PM)Haxus Wrote: Basic Training
Officers, crew and troops are now created with basic training up to their second rank. The first rank will be applied to npc's who suddenly find themselves in the job with no prior training. They will perform poorly. There is currently only one way to create an untrained npc; that is by getting them out of a cryo berth.

I'm guessing this is done via Military HQ and Starbases to actually make them useful?

The Military Headquarters already have a use, they function the same as a capitol building but for military buildings.

I guess the Star Fleet Academy could do with another use, maybe some training program that can be brought from a base with a Star Fleet Academy. A simple timer like with repairs, and you train all crew that are rank 0 to rank 1.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(01-18-2021, 07:59 PM)Haxus Wrote: ... It is now possible to change the role of an npc but there is no UI for doing so. Any suggestions? Should I just offer them a berth? Can an indigenous person accept a berth? ...

I suggest a separate UI window. This has greater possibilities than just berths and ship rosters, though you could set it up like that temporarily in lieu of a better way.

Also, have you been mulling over future plans for multiplayer? Curious to know where your thoughts are.