Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warehouse and Storage Tank Tweak
Most buildings now import whatever they need instantly from connected buildings. Warehouses and storage tanks, however, have a very slow fixed import rate that seems more proportioned to old cities than new ones. I wonder if this is an oversight.

I suggest that that, on the configuration screen, they should offer a target storage limit both in absolute terms and as a percentage slider. They would then fill themselves up to the smaller of these values, instantly if possible, by step if not. They would fetch from connected inventories, never importing so much of the commodity that their own storage would account for more than the set percentage. 

If there were 100 units of stone in all connected building inventories, a warehouse configured to fill to 200 units and 5% would fetch 5 units of stone, then do nothing until there were 120 units in connected inventories. At that point it would import an additional unit, for 6 units total. The warehouse would cease to import once there were 4000 units in all connected inventories, of which 200 units, 5%, would be in the warehouse itself. 

This opens up the possibility that a storage building might dedicate less than its total avaiable space to a single commodity. It follows that the rest of its volume could then be divided up among other commodities, making the building much more useful overall.
Having all warehouses query the total amount of a commodity in all connected building inventories at an interval seems like it would be wasted.

I agree that maybe the import rate is too slow in some cases, but it doesn't really have to be that complicated.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(11-21-2020, 10:12 PM)Deantwo Wrote: Having all warehouses query the total amount of of a commodity in all connected building inventories at an interval seems like it would be wasted.

I agree that maybe the import rate is too slow in some cases, but it doesn't really have to be that complicated.

I miss the old warehouse system. I mean yeah it's nice having storage built into the blueprints and building like 10 ESI 192 Refineries for Hydrogen is cool but still. 
Yes it would be much easier if Haxus just increased the import rate. I mean even the Retail stores have higher import rates.

How about this. Make it so a warehouse can "attach/link" it self to a single building 1:1 style. Once linked that warehouse just extends the storage of that building. All produced commodities from that attached building go direct to that warehouse without delay. (I would prefer this solution to be honest). 

Perhaps make it so you can attach a few warehouses to a single building? Not sure the best way to limit that...every 48 or 64 workshops per blueprint = one attachable link?

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
(11-22-2020, 10:48 PM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: All produced commodities from that attached building go direct to that warehouse without delay. (I would prefer this solution to be honest). 

Perhaps make it so you can attach a few warehouses to a single building? Not sure the best way to limit that...every 48 or 64 workshops per blueprint = one attachable link?

100% agreed with this, and this is actually how I intuitively assumed it worked when I jumped back in this universe. I assumed all excess produce went to a connected warehouse but realized they were almost empty, and the factory was refusing to run processes due to its own full storage. It'd have been a lot less confusing if it just automatically went to a warehouse. The current import rate of warehouses is also uselessly slow, to the point where they're unusable for anything except storage of broker shipments
What even
I also intuitively assumed that storage buildings would act as an extension to built-in factory capacity.

That would be a fine solution, and it would then be natural that warehouses also had multi-commodity storage, the same way that factories themselves do. You would just need to make sure that one warehouse can link to multiple buildings of the same type throughout the star system, and to brokers (otherwise you would be making some of their key conveniences less useful).
(11-26-2020, 04:44 PM)Vectorus Wrote: You would just need to make sure that one warehouse can link to multiple buildings of the same type throughout the star system, and to brokers (otherwise you would be making some of their key conveniences less useful).

Not sure the idea about having warehouses link to other workshops outside of a city is a good idea. Logistic management is really a key component of the strategy game play for Hazeron. In the end the shipyard or hub and spoke manufacturing center strategy would greatly befit from this. 

Intra-System warehouse connections don't make sense later on in the game. Also back in the day, you were able to control the imports in system using the brokers. The "levels" (jobs now) was the % imported per cycle. It caused all kinds of havoc if you built too many colonies and did not plan this out. Example, it was possible to import too much on your "main" colony in that system and rob them of vital things like air and food. Best to leave the intra-system alone. Perhaps it's not prefect but right now Haxus has it running smoothly.

However, I do like the idea of having the broker exploit warehouses. Right now you can ship goods to a city and that's it. So, why not make it so you can link brokers to warehouses too; assign a single broker to a single warehouse 1:1. All shipments leaving the remote colony pull form the warehouse and on the receiving end, if that broker has any assigned warehouses then goods are stored across all warehouses, then dispersed across the city/system. If no warehouse is assigned then it uses the current logic meaning any excess materials that cannot be stored are lost. Include a serious time penalty on workshops/brokers trying to pull goods from a warehouse by requiring an SUV or multiple SUVs (or something). This makes vehicle infrastructure vital in your colonies, (just like in real life)

Please feel free to pick this apart, I feel like I went a bit too far with this one.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]