Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crew Overshoot when Walking
Crew have a particular problem with navigating ships at the moment. In particular, they often go too fast and walk straight past the place they are meant to go. They then get stuck in an endless loop of turning back on themselves and overshooting in first one direction, then the other.

To my layman's eye, they need to judge more leniently whether they have arrived or not. Then, if the same order is given again (i.e., they are ordered twice to go to the same coordinates) their tolerance needs to get progressively stricter. Perhaps their movement speed should also slow with repeated identical orders. This would mean that they overshoot less often, while the ability to very precisely position them would not be lost.

(CURRENT WORKAROUND: Give them a "stop" order (Ctrl + S) when they are roughly where you want them to be.

EDIT: This could be related to the current extreme prevalence of overshooting waypoints when AI is controlling a ship, too - maybe a more general AI problem?
TBH, this is not a new problem.
Yet, like atmodives, it has periods of greater or lesser intensity.

It's not a new problem, for sure, but at present this problem is more intense than it has ever been in my experience. Usually, left long enough, crew will sort themselves out and find their stations. Right now, even hours later they will still be millling around. It is seriously interrupting gameplay and, I imagine, eating server resources too.

With ship navigation, it's even worse as some mission types simply will not proceed to the next order, no matter how long you wait.
(11-17-2020, 03:41 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: TBH, this is not a new problem.

Anr is correct, This is not a new problem.

https://www.hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=2475

The above is just an example. You'll find multiple posts about it.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
Suggestion: Expand the crew station activation range. Meaning that allow players/AI to man a station from further away. Perhaps double the range. 

Reason: The AI has to get very very close to the station to man it. What ends up happening is the crew tends to try to man a station for a while. Some times it's a coin flip and they can grab a particular station right away. 

Example: This crew member took about 70 seconds to man the station.

[Image: Hazeron-Starship-JOYq-Vt-P9-Ve.gif]

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
(04-06-2022, 07:13 PM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: Suggestion: Expand the crew station activation range. Meaning that allow players/AI to man a station from further away. Perhaps double the range.

Would be simpler to just fix the issue that is preventing the NPCs from getting into the exact location probably.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Perhaps it would be relatively easy to give them the ability to produce more minute control inputs? It honestly kindof resembles me trying to move while lagging, and the AI seems to be trying to use the same control system. There seems to be a minimum movement pulse you can produce, allowing them to basically do 10% of a key press or whatnot in a calculated fashion to take them right where they need to be might be a good idea.
It would be easier to give them ability to navigate to target rather than in direction.
Currently they are trying to emulate players, but lacking human ability to predict the outcome.
Just stop them from even trying, and everything will become simpler.