Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020-10-06 Shores of Hazeron Moving to Steam
So I have been in and out of Hazeron since U3 and still enjoy it. Taking this to Steam certainly is a frightening yet awesome idea. Only thing I did not like and still do not like is the ship designer. To this day I rely upon the rest of the community for ship and building designs. I have tried learning the new one but my mind just cannot comprehend the inner workings of it. I am fairly certain I won't be the only one. Taking this to steam will certainly attract a large amount of folks who do enjoy this type of game. I do hope this move will bolster the current community. I agree with wiping the universe for Steam release. It sure would help with stress testing once there is 100+ gamers online desperately trying to figure out how to forage those first 4 pieces of stone. Galaxy chat will be swamped! I also know that I will certainly pay that $25 simply because I know how hard Haxus has worked on this and for how long. Him and his game are certainly worth that mere $25. So yes to wiping the universe for the move.
(10-07-2020, 06:32 AM)DidoNialow Wrote: So I have been in and out of Hazeron since U3 and still enjoy it. Taking this to Steam certainly is a frightening yet awesome idea. Only thing I did not like and still do not like is the ship designer. To this day I rely upon the rest of the community for ship and building designs.

You know, back in 2012, that's what drew me into Hazeron. I wanted to be able to build my own ships and explore. So the old ship designer was the hook. That is an honest concern at the moment with the new one. 

The community does have amazing designs, they are incredibly talented. It's possible more talented players will be able to create new designs of course but it will seclude a large number of new players.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
Fwiw I think going to steam isn't the bad idea, it's removing the patreon for those who want to support you more... 

Why remove it if you don't have to?
In all honesty, the new designer gives you infinite freedom to pick any spaceship model from Sketchfab and die trying to create designated shitting areas in it. Those who pay $25 for the experience will go for a refund fast. 
https://i.imgur.com/Ww9Nf1k.png

This game's core is attractive but papercuts quickly add up. I see old footage of cities whose lights are seen from orbit, but mine look like no one paid their power bill. 
I see old ships carrying fighter squadrons inside, while that battlecruiser I salvaged from the exchange only has one tiny command room in which I can't shut the door from inside.

Component placement ditched in favor of sliders, and I have to make the pathfinding myself. How do you implement boarding in this?
If the meta is who can make the bigger cube and show up while the other guy is sleeping, what's the point? There is no functional economy anyway, and more than enough space for everyone's greed.

My 2 cents
(10-07-2020, 05:40 PM)Crabman Wrote: In all honesty, the new designer gives you infinite freedom to pick any spaceship model from Sketchfab and die trying to create designated shitting areas in it. Those who pay $25 for the experience will go for a refund fast. 

This game's core is attractive but papercuts quickly add up. I see old footage of cities whose lights are seen from orbit, but mine look like no one paid their power bill. 
I see old ships carrying fighter squadrons inside, while that battlecruiser I salvaged from the exchange only has one tiny command room in which I can't shut the door from inside.

Component placement ditched in favor of sliders, and I have to make the pathfinding myself. How do you implement boarding in this?
If the meta is who can make the bigger cube and show up while the other guy is sleeping, what's the point? There is no functional economy anyway, and more than enough space for everyone's greed.

My 2 cents

Honestly I kind of agree with this. Despite the new designer having infinite potential, it just doesn't feel like it fits. Everything interior related is so hard to do that most players won't bother, and everything else you mentioned such as old ships and cities looking better is also very true. Can't help but feel some aspects of the game have been downgraded over time, so I'd argue universe 3 Hazeron was more suited for Steam than current Hazeron
What even
(10-07-2020, 06:15 PM)Celarious Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 05:40 PM)Crabman Wrote: In all honesty, the new designer gives you infinite freedom to pick any spaceship model from Sketchfab and die trying to create designated shitting areas in it. Those who pay $25 for the experience will go for a refund fast. 

My 2 cents

Honestly I kind of agree with this. Despite the new designer having infinite potential, it just doesn't feel like it fits. Everything interior related is so hard to do that most players won't bother, and everything else you mentioned such as old ships and cities looking better is also very true. Can't help but feel some aspects of the game have been downgraded over time, so I'd argue universe 3 Hazeron was more suited for Steam than current Hazeron

Could you imagine, U3 hazeron mechanics, with today's client and server performance?  It would be a thing of beauty.  Although I do really like the new style planets and clouds.
(10-07-2020, 06:30 PM)jakbruce2012 Wrote: Could you imagine, U3 hazeron mechanics, with today's client and server performance?  It would be a thing of beauty.  Although I do really like the new style planets and clouds.

Hell yes, though not sure about the server performance since we've been getting loads of big rollbacks lately. I also like the new planets and clouds, but I'd be willing to sacrifice them tbh
What even
Haxus, here is a universe id like to see
[Image: Screenshot-507.png]
Report or Exploit
The only down side...kinda...is what if Hazeron takes off like crazy. Like does REALLY REALLY well on Steam. Can the existing servers handle that? 

Haxus are you prepared to grow Hazeron fast? Hire more people to maintain the servers while you focus on development. Is hazeron scalable to that degree? Regional server farms? EDIT: Different galaxy = different region?

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
(10-07-2020, 07:31 PM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: Haxus are you prepared to grow Hazeron fast? Hire more people to maintain the servers while you focus on development. Is hazeron scalable to that degree? Regional server farms? EDIT: Different galaxy = different region?

The game is inherently scalable. On universe level. The problem is scaling within solarsystem.