Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiling selections of a texture

Lightbulb 
New user here, been in game for around a month now and have been getting into a ship build. I was inspired by the style of System Shock 1 and thought it would look alright for this game considering the graphical style. In order to get past the 15 texture limitation, I've been using multiple textures in each image. SoH caps at 256x, and SS1 textures are 128x, so I can fit 4 without resizing, which is quite convenient. The problem is as far as I am aware, there is no way to tile a specific section of an image multiple times across a face. You can either tile the entire texture across the face, or stretch a sub-section of the texture across the entire face. Let me show what I mean.

https://imgur.com/a/DDAsPvX
[Image: DDAsPvX]

If I could tile that area I have selected across the entire face, I'd be able to make these rooms MUCH faster. Two additional things that would make this easier, but are absolutely side ideas, would be pixel snapping on the texture selector (something I've heard people want even without using this method) and some way to turn off the blending that seems to be happening in the textures? Though I have no hard evidence the blending is happening, I might just be insane. Regardless, if tiling in this way could be done in a less hacked way than I'm doing, you could fit 3,840 16px textures, the size Minecraft uses by default for instance. You'd still get 60 textures out of 128px, and it wouldn't cost more memory.

Hope this idea's appealing to someone out there. I don't know how difficult it would be for this to be implemented but it would open a lot of doors. If nothing else it would be much easier to add small details.

It's definitely appealing to me, and i'm very impressed that you are a new user who is already doing all that.