Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Game crashes at load in (solved)
(09-30-2020, 03:59 AM)Greydog Wrote: Regular transitions seem to be working ok. I still cannot load in my ringworld without a ctd and my starmap is still missing.

That is true, you also reported an issue with the graphical star map.
Here: (Bug report) Star Map Gone (mostly)
I don't think anyone else has reported that issue though, so it sounds more and more like an issue with your computer.

Ensure drivers are up to date again?
And you don't have one of those weird re-shader programs, right?
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Yes, I have been discussing this with Haxus via PM ...he thinks it may be a bug and is helping me find the answer.

This is a brand new PC, I have not added or tweaked anything yet.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!
I supposed I could have asked this question long ago.

What is the difference in the way the star map is scripted in Shores Of Hazeron compared to Hazeron Commander?

Why does in work in commander and not the main game?

Perhaps if I knew the answer to that I could figure out what on my pc needs to be looked at.
(11-14-2020, 04:59 PM)Greydog Wrote: I supposed I could have asked this question long ago.

What is the difference in the way  the star map is scripted in Shores Of Hazeron compared to Hazeron Commander?

Why does in work in commander and not the main game?

Perhaps if I knew the answer to that I could figure out what on my pc needs to be looked at.

OpenGL is the difference.
The star map was updated to use OpenGL rendering. But HazeeonCommander still uses the old non-OpemGL version.
See:
(01-30-2020, 03:13 PM)Haxus Wrote: Star Map
OpenGL star map causes Hazeron Commander to fail when run on a computer with low OpenGL capability, even if the star map is not displayed.

Hazeron Commander now uses the old star map widget, which is drawn using the paint system instead of OpenGL.

Whatever is wrong with your setup, it likely has to do with bad OpenGL capability.
Which is the first thing I mentioned in this thread.
yup, and the first thing I looked into.

another question: When I use Nvidia control panel to update my drivers it doesn't uninstall the old driver ..I always thought that was a requirement for getting a clean driver install. Is that something I should try as well?

I'm going to make a third attempt at making sure both my drivers and OpenGL are current.
So, I uninstalled my current graphics driver which I had updated twice. The Nvidia control panel showed that the driver that came with it when I bought the PC  was still there although I could not find it in any search. I was forced to leave it and reinstall the updated driver.

http://greydog.gdawg.net/gd-den/gallery/..._38_10.png

Now, if I switch to fullscreen mode and open the starmap it will not show until I switch back to windowed mode at which time the map is docked back in the upper left corner, but does work, up until I close it out then it no longer works.

I still cannot get ringworlds to load in using either mode. It still CTD's

Update: I find that if I open the map using the icons in the left column and choose the star map directly from there it works. If I open it using f7 > starmap tab it does not work.
(11-15-2020, 02:50 PM)Greydog Wrote: Now, if I switch to fullscreen mode and open the starmap it will not show until I switch back to windowed mode at which time the map is docked back in the upper left corner, but does work, up until I close it out then it no longer works.

Update: I find that if I open the map using the icons in the left column and choose the star map directly from there it works. If I open it using f7 > starmap tab it does not work.

The starmap sometimes don't show up the first time I try to open it either. Like it is there but invisible.
Clicking the button to open it a couple times more seems to fix it for me.

As for full-screen mode, it has been buggy with modular windows forever.
It is easier to just always play in window mode.
Actually I think the map not showing in full mode had more to do with full mode not working as you stated. The issue is that if I open f7 and click the starmap tab, the starmap will not show on the tab ..I have a list, no map. However, if I open the starmap directly from the icon in the left-hand column it works perfectly. Which brings up the question, "what is the difference between how the two load up the map?"

Which leads me to my second issue; I cannot get ringworlds to load up without crashing to desktop. My question here is similar ... what is the difference between a ringworld and a regular planet, what there could cause one to load up and the other to ctd?

..and a new one. I fired up a gen4 character the other day. Unlike the gen3 toons, this one ctd's regularly when transitioning in warp ...(not sure if it's at sectors or systems or both)
(11-19-2020, 02:14 PM)Greydog Wrote: Which leads me to my second issue; I cannot get ringworlds to load up without crashing to desktop. My question here is similar ... what is the difference between a ringworld and a regular planet, what there could cause one to load up and the other to ctd?

Ringworld maps are just really really big, it's the only difference. It takes my computer about 2-3 seconds to render the map.
(i7-4770, 32GB RAM, GFX: AMD R9 380 4GB, Win 10 Pro 1909)

[Image: Shores-of-Hazeron-Kjo7he-Mu-Bp.png]

It looks like it might be a problem with the RTX 2070 graphics card. I know they have had a nasty track record with hardware issues since it was released back in 2018. They've gone through countless driver updates to try and stabilize the card. Are you sure you have completely cleaned/removed the old drivers?

You could try running the latest DDU. This tool is excellent for completely cleaning drivers. 
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis...nload.html
ok. I tried this last suggestion (ty @Rockinsince87 )

- dl'd latest version of DDU
- dl'd latest driver
- unplugged pc from internet > restarted in safe mode > ran DDU
- checked thru GLViewer that drivers were not there
- installed updated driver.
- checked again to see that OpenGL was at v4.6 with driver at v457.51
- Same issue ..even with graphics set at low I CTD when trying to load into a ringworld.
- As a side note I find that my gen4 character also CTD's during most transitions ..not sure if it's related but I thought it worth mentioning.

*Edit*
Used WinDgb to run the crashdump file and among all the stuff I didn't understand there was this ..

Code:
ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000409 - The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application.