Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring Resource Tiers

(04-07-2024, 01:17 AM)Ivan Wrote: Also does it really make sense that a vulcium hammer would speed up a process significantly as compared to a metal hammer? That it'd be more durable, yes. But that would matter mostly to the player, as production would get newly produced hammers all the time anyway if one breaks. For all we know it might already be the case for hammers of different quality, but we wouldn't know. Did any of you ever track how many hammers get consumed per hour? I know I didn't.

That is why I was suggesting something more generic than just "vulcium hammer". More like "vulcium mining equipment" or something and have it only give bonuses to mining processes. Not just copies of the exact same metal tools. The mention of Minecraft was never to copy it completely and add pointless tools, it was just to give an idea about progression of advanced resources.

As for how the current optional tool bonuses and required tools work:
  • Each optional tool increases the output or manufacturing speed by 10% (not including current exponential bonuses bug)
  • When a building runs a procress that can use or need tools, it will fetch one of each of those tools. The tool is than stored in the building and a quality check is run on it every time it is used. Check being, roll a 256 dice and see if it is lower than the quality of the tool. If the quality check fails, the tool takes one damage to its durability.
  • If a tool's durability reaches 0, it is destroyed and a new tool is fetched.
Aside from the quality check before durability damage, the quality of a tool currently does not matter at all. Higher quality tools (and items in general) have more durability though. And I might argue that tool usage numbers by industry is very low normally, unless you have really low quality tools.

(04-07-2024, 01:17 AM)Ivan Wrote: But formalised resource tiers and adding tools? No thanks. Seems like unnecessarily complicating things.

Again, not really sure where people are getting the idea about wanting to formalize tiers. Unless you mean that because of the idea that some resources would require resources from previous tiers in order to harvest them.

The main goals of wanting new advanced tools and tool requirements, is just to create the need for some basic supply chains for some advanced tools or resources, and to actually give some feeling of progression for your cities and production.

Currently you never have to make shipments of any kind out to your faraway mining colonies. A solar system can easily be completely self-sufficient and can mine the hardest/rarest resources with no special preparations or setup. Meanwhile the production efficiency of your empire's captain or shipyards never change once you have computers, it doesn't matter if you have better tools or super advanced heatsinks, your mining rate is always going to be the same and manufacturing computers never get faster.

You are open to propose other ideas. Or maybe I am the only one to think some of these things are an issue that could be improved with some basic changes.

(04-07-2024, 01:17 AM)Ivan Wrote: If anything I'd just like the return of research requiring one item e.g. 1 radioactives for fuel rods. Just to have research and to give universities a fuction again. Because how does your civilisation know that radioactives can give you power if your researchers never studied it?
(04-07-2024, 01:17 AM)Ivan Wrote: Just posting my thoughts,. My vote is against new tools. Just in favor of one time research per tech and nothing else. Can be put in some nice visual research tree, or just the 'this tech requires that tech' that we had before.

Yeah, I do miss the research sample part of patents, it was a nice little requirement.
But that is more on topic for: (Idea thread) Basic Technology Research System for Hazeron Starship
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Messages In This Thread
Exploring Resource Tiers - by Deantwo - 06-29-2020, 04:45 PM
RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - by Neils Iyssada - 06-29-2020, 08:47 PM
RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - by Deantwo - 06-29-2020, 09:17 PM
RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - by andreykl - 04-04-2024, 05:33 PM
RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - by Deantwo - 04-04-2024, 07:18 PM
RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - by andreykl - 04-04-2024, 08:07 PM
RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - by Deantwo - 04-05-2024, 08:31 PM
RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - by Ivan - 04-07-2024, 01:17 AM
RE: Exploring Resource Tiers - by Deantwo - 04-07-2024, 10:10 AM