Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doors create default parts in the designer
I feel like doors are a laborious task that could be programmatically simplified for the users without limiting creativity.

My (limited) use of the designer finds me always creating the same type of door - a simple room to room via a small space in the hull or an external to internal door.  I always create the jig, cut the door, create the voids of about the same size, create the navs, associating everything and then doing any customizing like creating custom switches, states, tweaking voids, etc.

One way that would simplify door creation is to create all the necessary pieces and associations by default and let designers modify the auto-generated pieces.  For example:
  • Given a valid selected door jig
  • And two rooms are selected selected
  • And the option for default part creation is ticked
  • When the jig is cut
  • Then the door direction is inferred by locations of the two rooms selected with the jig
  • And a default path object is placed from one side of the jig through to the other extending slightly beyond the jig's bounds in the inferred direction of the door
  • And a new room void is created for the door that encompasses the jig shape
  • And the room void and path parts are associated with the new door's proper state
  • And optionally the user chooses the thickness of the door much like the end of an extrusion, but using stretching mechanics
And for hull doors:
  • Given a valid selected door jig
  • And a selected room and a hull
  • And the option for default part creation is ticked
  • When the jig is cut
  • Then the door direction is inferred by locations of the room and the opposite end of the jig volume from the room
  • And a default path object is placed from one side of the jig through to the other extending slightly beyond the jig's bounds in the inferred direction of the door
  • And a new room void is created for the door that encompasses 80% of the jig shape from the room side of the jig
  • And a new hull void is created for the door that encompasses 25% of the jig shape from the opposite side of the jig from the room
  • And the room void, hull void, and path parts are associated with the new door's proper state
  • And optionally the user chooses the thickness of the door much like the end of an extrusion, but using stretching mechanics
Also, if program complexity is a concern when it comes to inferring door direction, or in more complex use cases than I usually have, it would be nice to have the ability to set a door direction/axis manually at least to get the automated generation of associated voids and paths.

Using these processes above, door creation becomes much faster, lowers the chance of error, and lets people start to walk through their designs earlier in the design process.