Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making military bases (or all military buildings) capturable + troop control

Here are some ideas on how I think the capturing system could be improved, please do add your own suggestions.

Capturable Military bases, possibly MWS and capitols too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Right now the way to capture a planet is to just destroy all Military Weapon systems (MWS), turrets and shield generator , then destroy the military base. That's it. No infantry needed. All cities on the world suddenly yield. In the old system you needed to destroy the MWS to get close to the city to beam down troops to capture flags or you could be sneaky and go in with troops from outside the firing arc of the MWS or use a spacetransport or small ship. Basically there were many more options and it was actually fun to capture the flags. It was also kinda fun to capture a city at a time, so a planet could have cities owned by different empires. I understand there were some exploits with placing flags in/near other cities, multple smaller cities, etc.

Instead it would be nice if all military buildings could either be destroyed by ships OR be captured by infantry. A Military building would not be a valid design, unless it had doors and hallways leading to a command chair (or the shield/firing console), which you could then defend by placing lots of troops around it and some turrets perhaps. (maybe with some restrictions to avoid 100 turrets, possible troop mumber restrictions and having to spread them over different sites)

So in addition to destruction from orbit, infantry/special forces gameplay would become an option again.

Having to capture each city capitol as well would be neat also. Each city could have a small garrison of troops/police officers stationed at the capitol or even each police station. That could however lead to the exploit of placing alot of police stations or even alot of small cities, so I'm not sure about capitols needing to be captured. We could perhaps have max 1 city per zone, but that's a bit of an artificial limitation. Other possibilites are a minimum number of inhabitants and morale. Or a minimum number of police jobs for the city to matter in the control of the planet, to avoid spamming many small cities. Maybe someone else has better ideas on how to tackle this.

A capitol could perhaps only become capturable once the military base has been captured or destroyed.

Doors also need to be destructible again with C4 to enable this.

Troop control:
-------------------
Also I think it would be good if a person in the chain of command of a World (City) was able to control the garrison of the Miltary base (and the Capitol/police stations) in the same way that you can now control troops from your ship. It aways bothered me in the past that this was not possible.

Perhaps even a list of active troops should be added in some menu concerning military bases (or cities) somewhere.