Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Open Letter to Haxus from French Empire

Yeah, I just meant if you ever effectively gave up on the project.

You could go open source and then completely throw yourself on the mercy of your fans like dwarf fortress does with its completely opt-in donations, but that doesn't really strike me as your style. e: actually they arent open source either, eh

e2: Honestly the only way you can get people to share information generally is if there is some kind of intellectual property protection that protects them from the downsides of doing that. Thats so impractical for code that we basically live in trade secret land like people did 150 years ago with regular physical inventions (prior to (relatively) well enforced patents and suchnot).

FWIW, hazeron.com is now HTTPS.

This was one of the failures pointed out in this thread.

Don't say I don't listen.

Yup, that's nice news!
However it showed again where are the issues, and with the last page's posts I guess I finally understood what's going on there.

I'll do what I can as fast as I can.

I take calculated risks but I'm not a gambler.

Something someone once said comes to mind, "Sometimes I do what I have to do. The rest of the time I do what I want to do." It struck me that it applies to pretty much everybody.

[Image: the-risk-i-took-was-calculated-but-man-a...571086.png]

I don't mean anything by this in particular, it just came to mind.

(06-30-2020, 11:26 PM)Haxus Wrote: I'll do what I can as fast as I can.

I take calculated risks but I'm not a gambler.

Something someone once said comes to mind, "Sometimes I do what I have to do. The rest of the time I do what I want to do." It struck me that it applies to pretty much everybody.

I'm not talking about speed here. It's more about the "how".
For example the fact we have to manually download the new launcher, otherwise we cannot even play anymore (from what I gathered). It says a lot, about your code or the way you treat your customers for example.
Or also the fact you pay more than 600$ per month for the servers apparently, and still don't see a way to monetize the game if you "open source it". If it needs that much of hardware, that means no one could create dedicated servers right? So going open source won't do any harm?

Anyway it doesn't really matters, I've got what I was looking for here. I wish you luck for the future and a happy life, that's what matters indeed! :)

Good luck to you too, and a happy life as well.

Fwiw, this is the path I chose.

I wanted to write this program for my entire career. It took decades to develop the skills to do it and I'm still learning because technology advances so quickly. It has driven me for years. It's all I want to do most days. If I was created to do anything; this is it.

Paula and I could save a ton of money by shutting it down now, immediately, without wasting another moment. We are comfortable and old enough to coast from here on out. We wouldn't have to work another day in our lives.

But that just isn't us. We are workaholics and we know it. Our hard work paid off and we were fortunate in life. Does a runner stop running after they win a few races? No. They run harder than ever before.

As a programmer, running is writing ten thousand lines of code a month for a year straight. Try it some time. It's exhilarating. It's not a sprint; it's a marathon.

I spent a lot of years writing programs for other people, forced to add illogical features at their every whim. Perhaps I could make more money if I was a better manager; I'm not a great manager. I do think I am a great programmer though, probably not the best but definitely one of them.

Career wise, I finally get to do what I want to do, which is fun. If I only cared about money, I certainly wouldn't be doing this. I do this because I love it.

Thank you for sharing your universe with us.

From one who is strictly a consumer in the digital world. Your creation has given me much enjoyment for many years now and I thank you for it.

I don't know what it takes to build something like this but I do know that you have done it by yourself wonderfully ..to that I say BRAVO!
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!