Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020-04-29 Client Crash, Noob Teleport

(05-06-2020, 04:54 PM)Deantwo Wrote: I don't really think "noob teleport" adds anything. Mainly because new players won't know about it unless they read this update. They will place a building before they think to right-click the map, and then it is too late.

So tell them about it when they join the game (and I don't mean via Targoss...takes far too long for that one to speak, and I always terminate him...I'd much rather personally have a text-based tutorial / howto dialog box but thats another discussion...............but yeah..........tell them about it when they first create a new empire.

(05-06-2020, 04:54 PM)Deantwo Wrote: So I would mostly way that it is a complication that is not very well communicated and is lost before a new player would learn about it.

See above about communicating...and I doubt its all that complicated (i've not used it yet since I've had no need, but if its complicated, it can be improved through an iterative process like everything)

(05-06-2020, 04:54 PM)Deantwo Wrote: Also the idea of it being something you just right-click on the map, it is weird. It is literally just an admin power being given to new avatars in the short time before they start building a city.

A better way of implementing "noob teleport" would be with the villagers. Add a new villager, caravan manager or something, and have talking with them give an option to move to somewhere else on the world. It should move the entire village too, so the respawn point will also be at the teleport destination. And it could even be useful for non-new avatars that way, as there isn't really a need to limit it to .

Visually it could be made as entering a vehicle and being transported quickly to the location, nice fast-travel instead of instant teleportation. Of course that would make it harder to implement.

The biggest issue I really see is not having an easy way to pick a destination using the communication window. Maybe I guess the villager could just suggest a few locations or something. Not like we need teleportation to exact locations, just near enough that we can walk there within reasonable time and have out respawn point not be too far away.
Destination options like "near the mountain of x", "the eastern continent", "the southern isles", or even "near the world's biggest city".

You literally just talked about it being complicated and its a simple right click command on the map.....and then immediately start talking about making it integrated into the villager system (which I never used...I'm essentially a new player at this point with basic background knowledge of SoH since I've been gone so long, and I just flew away and ignored the village because I didn't know how to interact with them, and still don't really).

But why make something to encourage people (new old and returning alike) to find cool scenes for cities, more convoluted that it needs to be? Right click to teleport somewhere seems simple enough to me (if it happens unintentionally, right click to bring up a context menu with Teleport as an option).

Currently, its simple, and does the job, and most gamers can understand context menus whatever game they play. Start adding in caravans, and village-integration you are tying it directly into the game which new people won't have a clue about, and makes it more of a chore for other people, and for what reason?

(05-06-2020, 04:54 PM)Deantwo Wrote: Further iteration of the feature could be applied to airports, asking a pilot to fly us to another airport on the world or in the solar system. Or even subway train stations. We are missing some non-spacecraft travel options like that that don't require piloting skills.

For this you might as well do away with the transporter tech and system on ships / airports entirely. The current implementation was meant to speed up the process of: Spawn in game -> Find city location -> Get to building and into the core of what SOH is.

To me, SoH isn't about wandering aimlessly on a barran planet with 2 or 3 teepee tents and a handful of villagers...that is what I have Proteus for (and I've never once installed it). To me SoH is about building cities, exploring other systems and planets, and expanding an empire. The whole Teepee phase I don't see the point in, and still no one has answered the question of what the missing opportunities, or relevant game experience (optionally) wandering aimlessly around for hours on end trying to find a cool place to settle.

Messages In This Thread
2020-04-29 Client Crash, Noob Teleport - by Haxus - 04-29-2020, 10:59 PM
RE: 2020-04-29 Client Crash, Noob Teleport - by NeoKuro - 05-06-2020, 05:29 PM