Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020-04-29 Client Crash, Noob Teleport

Tbh all I see this doing is saving new players or new empires some time and encourages start-game exploration.

When I started my empire I checked the map as teh first thing (like I always do) and saw a bunch of landmarks listed. Three grabbed my attention; Geothermal Vent, and 2 volcanoes. Ofc they were on the opposite side of the planet to me.

So I ended up going off to take a look at all 3 landmarks. It took me over 2 hours to do this. My opinion is there is nothing gained for me in terms of the player experience by forcing me to spend those 2 hours slowly travelling my planet just so I can discover cool biomes...there was never any danger of death and oceans weren't an issue because I can fly.

(05-02-2020, 03:16 PM)Neils Iyssada Wrote: Well actually if someone have the choice to TP he will tend to easily skip the difficulties... Kinda like in MC when you died and lost your fav gear with cheats on.
I'm not against noob TP but it should be a choice for secondary characters, so the first one get the true survival phase.

I wouldn't really say it would allow you to skip the difficulties..........since the game already offers that option (Flight) which players can choose to use or not at character creation. It just lets players skip the pointless time consuming task of travelling a large and mostly empty world to find a place to settle (also an entirely optional thing to do), and I wouldn't say the game has a "true survival" phase either.

In fact I'd argue it doesn't even have one at all anymore, previously when I played you required a flag to make a city so I spent the 30 seconds getting a log then plant fibre then a flag. Turns out I didn't need to since you can just start placing buildings anywhere. So you don't need to forage for anything at all to get started (and hunger damage is so slow / insignificant its not even worth thinking about, in fact my guy was starving until I built my space rocket when I finally got him some food xD and food isn't tough to come by especially as a veggie or omnivore).

The closest it comes to true survival is really when you're making your city, and are essentially anchored to that position as you build it up. For me I spend most of my time in this 'survival phase' in top down / city building view so thats when I'm most likely to be attacked (but I fly so I never did), but with the rules of the noob TP you wouldn't be able to TP away to safety anyway because as soon as you step on a building site the noob TP is disabled anyway (if I read it correctly).

If the game were intended to be a true survival experience, you'd at minimum have to up the starvation damage significantly (its a minor inconvenience not being able to sprint when starving but thats all). But it'd have to be like every day/night cycle you can start starving, and it'd have to kill you in a couple of minutes at most for it to be a serious issue imo, but even then if SoH is about building a civilisation, what would forcing players to endure starvation for hours on end bring to the game experience beyond (imo) frustration?

Messages In This Thread
2020-04-29 Client Crash, Noob Teleport - by Haxus - 04-29-2020, 10:59 PM
RE: 2020-04-29 Client Crash, Noob Teleport - by NeoKuro - 05-06-2020, 12:36 AM