Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RE: Unable To Enter Game - Posting Etiquette
(08-08-2018, 09:05 PM)Haxus Wrote: If you are unable to enter the game, please post in this topic. It will get quick attention.

Your post will be removed when I think the problem is resolved. Please repost if it persists after that.

(04-28-2020, 12:44 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: Please don't flood this thread. One post per character is enough.

I'm just following instructions m8, and people were doing the same in the last thread. Does editing a post even signal a change to the thread? If it doesn't, it'd be near impossible to track for a large playerbase. Maybe Haxus can weigh in, since both reporting styles are in play.

I've made this thread to keep the other clean and also invite discussion.
Now consider this: Haxus goes through the list, seeing your first post, doing what is necessary to investigate your cause, then removes your post and moves to the next one. A couple of hours later, tired and exhausted of going through the list of characters, he encounter your next post. Do you think he can remember by this time that he already investigated your cause?
(04-28-2020, 07:08 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: doing what is necessary to investigate your cause
I think this is disingenuous. The whole point of not allowing the servers to reboot themselves is that he can debug them to find the root cause; it's not entirely self-centered for me to report that my character is in limbo when it is a genuine bug (imagine if WOW had this issue!). Now if you're concerned that I'm reporting false positives, perhaps a criteria can be worked out? After all, what's the exact point when a long loading time becomes never? I just go with when it takes at least 20 mins (although I like to give it an hour or more most times) and the network activity stops (presumably indicated by the red & blue bolts in the top right) or is very infrequent.

(04-28-2020, 07:08 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: tired and exhausted of going through the list of characters
That's why I make sure to quote the atom ID. The ID is unique and therefore makes lookup much faster. Unless you mean the forum posts, at which point one can argue it's only a problem as long as he decides not to delete them or edit them accordingly.

(04-28-2020, 07:08 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: Do you think he can remember by this time that he already investigated your cause?
That's why I edit them to say the situation's been fixed. I can make it clearer by striking it out if you think this is an issue for him.

I really don't see your point, other than perhaps users should delete posts for solved issues themselves.
Being developer myself, I can tell you there's a distinction between "situation is resolved" and "it seems the situation had resolved itself".
(04-28-2020, 07:54 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: Being developer myself, I can tell you there's a distinction between "situation is resolved" and "it seems the situation had resolved itself".
If the server has trapped, then the only way for it to resume is for it to have been intentionally released either directly or indirectly. I agree that in other cases this can be frustrating (my work is in computational physics so I also develop software, although I have very few users), but it's not like I have any debug output to examine so far as I know. If I did, I'd gladly use it. Also, all the other users have marked the issue as resolved by themselves - has there ever been a case where Haxus has done so in the old thread? Again, is there a criteria we can use to be certain it is limbo, and therefore that its resolution was Haxus' intervention? This seems more like an issue of uncertainty rather than Etiquette.
At least editing or deleting your old post when the issue is resolved. Then post a new post if it happens again.

As far as I know Haxus mainly uses the thread as a warning system for something being wrong lately. If he gets a ping from the thread, he checks if any servers have crashed without him knowing and investigate them.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo