Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Translate SoH with the communauty

(02-17-2023, 05:05 PM)Haxus Wrote: I am almost finished putting the hooks in to support translations.

The Qt Linguist program is used to perform the translation. It is free on Linux. I don't know about Windows.

If anyone is interested speak up. I'll send you the files to load in Qt Linguist. You translate them and send them back. It's a ton of work. This can be done bit by bit. You don't have to translate the entire thing.
I am ready to do some translation. Though it will be much harder without context. Some developers provide 'translation debug' mode, which shows unique IDs near strings in game that can be used to search in translation file
Report or Exploit

I can help translate to French too. I don't have a lot of time for it tho.

The translation tag tr allows an optional context field that is shown in the Qt Linguist program to assist in translation.

Unfortunately I discovered this feature only recently and none of my tr tags includes any context information.

I am currently exploring the Qt Linguist program to see what things look like from the translator’s side. It iappears to be a well thought out system with helpful features.

After a marathon day of massaging translation data, I think it’s ready. I added context to a lot of tr strings. I removed trs from strings that should not be translated. And I added Q_OBJECT macros to a bunch of objects which causes their tr strings to be grouped with the object name for context.

The result is 10 files that are ready to be translated to most any language. It would be a ton of work.

Anyone want to give it a try? After you know what is involved you might propose a price to do the entire translation. It is too much work to expect someone to do it for free.

(02-18-2023, 01:23 AM)Haxus Wrote: After a marathon day of massaging translation data, I think it’s ready. I added context to a lot of tr strings. I removed trs from strings that should not be translated. And I added Q_OBJECT macros to a bunch of objects which causes their tr strings to be grouped with the object name for context.

The result is 10 files that are ready to be translated to most any language. It would be a ton of work.

Anyone want to give it a try? After you know what is involved you might propose a price to do the entire translation. It is too much work to expect someone to do it for free.
I can only accept services barter. Or cryptocurrency

If you want groups of people work on same translation project, then you could use localization managers. One i know is https://crowdin.com/
Report or Exploit

I have decided to get a quote from a professional localization service.

(02-18-2023, 04:01 PM)Haxus Wrote: I have decided to get a quote from a professional localization service.
Watch out. I know one dev company that paid other company for professional localization services which just used machine translation
Report or Exploit

I requested quotes from five different companies who localize software.

Best proposal for localization is $13k for one language.

While I am sure translation would be nice for some players. It just doesn't really feel like it is worth doing at this stage. I know this is a stupid way to frame it, but translations are better done when you are closer to "finished" with the game. It is especially not something I think we need to worry about before Steam release. You will likely end up with a ton more new texts that will need to be translated as you continue development, and you might have to update a bunch of texts or even scrape some still. Basically I would suggest coming back to this issue in a year or two.

But that is just my opinion.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo