Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Translate SoH with the communauty
(02-22-2023, 01:26 AM)Haxus Wrote: Best proposal for localization is $13k for one language.

That seems like a lot of money for a translation. I don't know the standard prices, but it sure can wait if it cost that much.

As Dean said, if you want a profesionnal translation it seems like it would be better to wait until later, if there is a demand for it.

When I bumped this thread, I was expecting some solution like what was made for StarMade : all text was downloaded into some community translation website (don't remember the name), and everyone could help. It's slow and not perfect tho, but it's free and doesn't feel like a forceful job.
13k is a lot. Period
Report or Exploit
As someone currently stuck in california, you can't even get your roof done for that.
The biggest issue with translation to many non-western languages is a different rules of phrase composition. While this can be avoided by creative word play in most cases, the result is often unnatural.
And if we take Cyrillic languages (Russian, Ukrainian, etc.) for example, many words have gender sensitivity to the subject. You can't say "Она пришёл" without you being regarded as uneducated outsider (or moron). Which amplifies the issue of correct localization.
I hired a professional localization company to translate Hazeron Starship to French (European). They will be done in 30 days.

Their presentation was very nice. They clearly did their homework in researching what my product is. The company has various relevant ISO certifications and many happy customers after being in business for over twenty years. They can translate to many languages. Games are their specialty.

Their quote was a fair bit less than the first quote yet they appear to be the superior choice by a long way. There is a discount on translation to additional languages.
Quote:translations are better done when you are closer to "finished"

I’ve learned a lot about localization in the past week. The software tools for doing the job are well adapted to an iterative process of updates. The localization company is accustomed to that work flow; they expect it actually. 

My efforts now are almost entirely focused on bug fixing. That has little effect on text that must be translated. 

Once the software is translated, untranslated new text simply appears in English, not the end of the world. It will be updated eventually. I probably will do translation updates less often than software updates because it requires the services of the translation company.