Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Space Dungeons
(03-01-2022, 10:12 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 09:36 PM)Norway174 Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 09:23 PM)Deantwo Wrote: ... people would just refuse to do them in populated clusters or near high traffic areas.

... Unless the risk suddenly makes it worthwhile that is.

The same arguments works the other way around too. If you have multiple wormholes leading to the same system. Then people still won't do it if they don't want to PVP.

Again, depends on what is desired for the feature. If the reward/loot scaled depending on number of entrances or number of active player empires near the entrance, then everything is fine i guess.

If the reward/loot is the same then yes, going for the less risky one is always better.

But instead of just PvP, some cooperative PvE would likely be a lot more interesting. You know positive player interaction.

Awesome idea Norway174! Randomized POIs could indeed help the unvierse feel more alive.

Random AI empires could be added with random cities built for trade or something to conquer. Their stance towards all empries could be randomized to simulate xenobphobic races. That could be implemented in phases and eventually end up with AI empries that also "Build/Expand". 

Like you said, abandoned colonies, ships, stations, etc... They could be procedurally generated and have a rare chance similar to finding a ringworld. 

I agree with not having an instanced quest like approach. Let the reward and procedural generation make your discovery one of a kind.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]
(08-25-2020, 06:47 PM)danthemanisme95 Wrote: Star Map could also be a good loot item to.
IE, This data disk has data of a star on it where a planet has a high quality ore or some other resource. Additionally disks could contain high quality patents, Location of a ring world, a bunch of ship modules ect...

I like this idea

Dungeons in general sounds cool and the loot wouldn't really be too hard, for me at least. I wouldn't mind finding stuff like Q255 weapons, rings, storage devices, armor, clothes, any of the items you wear of keep in your inventory really. Would be cool if they were named too, maybe they could pull from a random list of adjectives to preface the names so they'd come out "Dangerous Metal Shotgun" or "Glittering Crystal Necklace" or an adjective and a noun like "Ferocious Spitter" for a gun.

Another idea for top tier loot could be a copy of a Preon particle that exists in the universe already, or one that has existed for some time :) if anyone's saving Preons for a stargate, you can get yourself a copy of it. I never actually got to that point in the game and never use particle collectors so I've never had Preons and don't know how good that mechanic would be or not be.

In relation to instanced dungeons, maybe Haxus could allow us to make buildings in the designer as dungeons? Maybe a teleporter that beams you down to a building or player-built obstacle course or battlefield? Would the guard ai work for some kind of dungeon defenders in conjunction with 'proper' ai pathing in a building with interior rooms? I've only made one house with interior and never was able to make an NPC go inside, I don't think. I didn't design the house with NPCs in mind though.

I really like this idea, it has lots of potential to add a bunch to the game, especially singleplayer.
Indeed. Dungeons/Points of Interest are a must for Hazeron Starship. Having places to explore to find loot, lore, coordinates to something hidden, and derelict ships with NAV data or higher tech that can be salvaged are a must  (oh yeah  Big Grin ). ((Remember if you already have something it can help speed up research of said item if you have not researched it yet.)) 

Preons are awesome. That would be good loot Kami. They are one time use but that's fine for loot. Say you loot an long forgotten outpost and find say 5 or so preons to some place on the other side of the galaxy or even a different galaxy all together. Drop it on your ringworld control center and go explore! If it's useful, you can always get more from the other side.

(12-16-2022, 12:54 PM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: Indeed. Dungeons/Points of Interest are a must for Hazeron Starship. Having places to explore to find loot, lore, coordinates to something hidden, and derelict ships with NAV data or higher tech that can be salvaged are a must  (oh yeah  Big Grin ). ((Remember if you already have something it can help speed up research of said item if you have not researched it yet.)) 

Preons are awesome. That would be good loot Kami. They are one time use but that's fine for loot. Say you loot an long forgotten outpost and find say 5 or so preons to some place on the other side of the galaxy or even a different galaxy all together. Drop it on your ringworld control center and go explore! If it's useful, you can always get more from the other side.

There's really so many ideas we could come up with for loot if we looked at other games. Probably more than something like No Man's Sky since we have item quality and there's more to do in this game lol
I'd be willing to make some dungeon buildings if I knew the guard NPC AI worked indoors. Have you seen any guards on a ship attack players before? Are they any good at hunting through rooms? If the ai walk pathing was good enough, you could theoretically make a big building or a whole complex full of NPC guards that hunt you down. You could probably even have triggers attached to switches on doors and stuff that release more guards as you progress through the building. If Haxus made it a special type of building with no restrictions, maybe we could add turrets to it and teleporters and all sorts of stuff.
(12-16-2022, 03:03 PM)Kami Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 12:54 PM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: Snip

Snip

So I never did play around inside buildings too much. The only one I did was that cool house you made.

Yeah I have seen troops and crew properly defend ships and stations. The AI paths must be set correctly naturally. The new designer/ships make it a bit interesting because sometimes they react a bit unpredictable. I can attest that the old ships/stations pathing was spot-on and very reliable. So the new system should be able to do the same once Haxus finishes his work on the new designer and irons everything out. 

I used to love boarding pirate stations and blasting my way to the bridge.

(12-17-2022, 12:56 AM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: So I never did play around inside buildings too much. The only one I did was that cool house you made.

Yeah I have seen troops and crew properly defend ships and stations. The AI paths must be set correctly naturally. The new designer/ships make it a bit interesting because sometimes they react a bit unpredictable. I can attest that the old ships/stations pathing was spot-on and very reliable. So the new system should be able to do the same once Haxus finishes his work on the new designer and irons everything out. 

I used to love boarding pirate stations and blasting my way to the bridge.

Yeah that all sounds cool and I think we could already make some kind of dungeon structure with the systems in the designer now, even with the door triggers and some loot around.

How about the guard movement in your experience? Did they chase you or hunt you or just stay in one spot while they shot you? I think my pathing is ok, the few times I've had alien infestations on my ships, the guards take care of it fast. That might just be because of the positions they're in though, I never saw them chase anything before they killed it.
(12-22-2022, 10:13 PM)Kami Wrote: Yeah that all sounds cool and I think we could already make some kind of dungeon structure with the systems in the designer now, even with the door triggers and some loot around.

How about the guard movement in your experience? Did they chase you or hunt you or just stay in one spot while they shot you? I think my pathing is ok, the few times I've had alien infestations on my ships, the guards take care of it fast. That might just be because of the positions they're in though, I never saw them chase anything before they killed it.

Guard movement has historically good. The new pathing systems do add a bit of complexity in a way that you can screw it up. Yeah my guards move around the ship and kill infestations just fine. My only complaint was they did not return to their post or go looking for stations to man after. Not a huge deal but still. 

As for chasing, well the infestations never really had a chance to run away. They would attack the guards or die quickly. 

When I used to board player ships and stations when "visiting" with guns, AI guards would swarm you if their attack orders were aggressive. If not then they would attack you once you blasted your way into a room they were in.

Love this idea, i do find myself abit aimless once i have warp technology and resources of a high level. At least this could add an interesting story element or tie in with a point in a story where a larger variety of POI become available, even if auto gen contracts were implemented to deliver X resource from A - B or save a colony from pirates / raiders / opposeing AI empire.

Would make the game feel much more alive.
'To find me, look to the Eastern Skies and follow the trail of blood' 
(12-24-2022, 03:45 PM)Rockinsince87 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 10:13 PM)Kami Wrote: Yeah that all sounds cool and I think we could already make some kind of dungeon structure with the systems in the designer now, even with the door triggers and some loot around.

Guard movement has historically good. The new pathing systems do add a bit of complexity in a way that you can screw it up. Yeah my guards move around the ship and kill infestations just fine. My only complaint was they did not return to their post or go looking for stations to man after. Not a huge deal but still. 

As for chasing, well the infestations never really had a chance to run away. They would attack the guards or die quickly. 

When I used to board player ships and stations when "visiting" with guns, AI guards would swarm you if their attack orders were aggressive. If not then they would attack you once you blasted your way into a room they were in.

Welp, I guess I better stop talking about it and starting thinking about how to make one! There's been some amazing work on modular buildings in the designer lately and I think that would solve some of the problems I've been having with integrating turrets into regular buildings. If I can make something cool enough, maybe Haxus will by more inclined to implement it.