Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2018-08-09 Building Codes, Town Square Nerf, Lunar Farming, City Founder
Professional vs Manufacturing Jobs
What is the difference between manufacturing, professional and service jobs?

The distinction between the job types now appears on a tool tip, the one that pops up when you hover over the homes/jobs text on the construction window. The text of that tip is...

Quote:Homes and jobs are determined by the building blueprint.

Many industries can incorporate homes in their design. Each home houses one citizen. Large homes are more favorable than small homes.

Manufacturing jobs are created by industries that make things. These employ the workers at the production lines that manufacture commodities. 

Professional jobs are created by industries that do not make things. These employ the essential workers that do the business of the industry, the ones who count for the industry.

Service jobs are non-essential jobs created by the industry, such as the office required at a factory. Service jobs are also created by optional facilities in the building blueprint, such as arenas, auditoriums, lounges, stores, transporters and vehicle launch|recovery systems.

Building Codes
The building codes are not clear what causes a building to create its manufacturing and professional jobs: auditoriums, lounges, offices, shops, etc.

All buildings now report what creates their manufacturing and professional jobs.

Morale buildings now report the number of citizens each level can service.

Town Square Nerf
The next step toward phasing out the old cities is to prevent the creation of any new town squares.

The Town Square button on the obsolete city construction window is now disabled. The other buttons are still usable, so players can continue to work on existing cities.

Designer Gravity Bug
Gravity in the designer does not work unless the design has a hull.

Gravity in the designer now affects you whenever you are within the overall extents of the model.

Order Amount Rollover
Mission orders to buy|sell|transfer commodities have a quantity value that rolls over at 64K.

Mission order buy|sell|transfer quantities upgraded from 16 bit integers to 32 bit integers, unsigned. Those quantities will now roll over at just over 4.2 billion.

Lunar Farming
Farms on moons and other harsh environments can only run some processes for making silage.

Fixed an error when listing processes that depend on environmental factors. Processes that get water from the environment were incorrectly omitted when the world had no natural water, overlooking that water in the city inventory can be used as a substitute.

Crew Channel Status
Requesting status on the crew channel no longer works.

Fixed error in chain-of-command test. I don't see how this one ever worked.

New Ship Empire 0 Bug
A spacecraft factory was spawning spacecraft with empire 0. They were then locked and inaccessible to the owner of the city.

Fixed error setting the empire of new spacecraft.

Health % Rollover
Health percentage incorrect on ships with lots of hit points.

Fixed integer overflow in percentage calculations.

Right to Found Cities
The right to found cities policy does not seem to apply to new style cities.

Applied right to found cities policy to the construction of capitol and hq buildings.

City Founder Rights/Domain
The founder of new style cities does not get assigned any city founder rights or the city founder domain.

Fixed a bug in the creation of the rights record when a new capitol or hq was built.
Improvements much appreciated. Nice work.

The only thing I question is the town square nerf. It's premature. Various calculation changes in the recent past have made published designs unbuildable/unpredictable. Old cities remain a rock-solid way for a new player to get started, and even for an old player to get going in a new system. I believe that, right now, the list of pre-made designs is not comprehensive or well-tested enough to be our only option. Maybe soon, but not right now. New players may be scared off when they find that they can't progress without some serious design work of their own.

Moreover, a lot of the information for new players is simply not available in a coherent manner. You really have to hope someone more experienced is online.
I think you'll find that everyone wants to have a go with new cities. Leaving old city-building in place a little longer will not appreciably hinder the growing dominance of the new style. It will just help people get started.
Thank you for all of the fixed, the bug report section seems nearly empty now.

I agree with Vectorus on the removal of old cities. While I’m not sure they’re much more difficult to understand than the old ones for new players, there is definitely a lack of designs available for use still. Add in the fact that new style cities have been deleted, had their building properties changed, and designs made unqualified, along with the recent huge rule change in the limits new cities are required to follow, and I think their removal is premature. It should wait until there is some sort of stability with the new system first, in my opinion.

Knowing this change is coming in advance would have been useful, too. Currently I only have designs suitable for ringworlds set up, due to the recent changes in how everything is calculated and limitation changes. Time to create ones for smaller worlds would be appreciated.
I want to come back and play... Love the new possibilities and designs, but honestly I have NOOOO interest in designing my own buildings. :-( I hope there is enough pre-designed buildings or at least starter packages to make city and exploration work effectively.
(08-09-2018, 02:55 PM)Snowmantis Wrote: I want to come back and play... Love the new possibilities and designs, but honestly I have NOOOO interest in designing my own buildings.      :-(    I hope there is enough pre-designed buildings or at least starter packages to make city and exploration work effectively.

The blueprints Haxus published are very basic and they work fine.
But most blueprints published by others are kinda expensive to build and the harsh environment versions are currently broken.

We definitely need that "empire approved building blueprint list" that I wished for a while back. Using the filter on the construction window is not all that easy or good. Every time a new person publish a design, they are automatically checked in your filter.
Would still prefer if building blueprints were approved by the emperor from a list. If a non-emperor need a blueprint that isn't approved, they just burn a blueprint onto a disk and use that.
Source: http://digiprose.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...70#p102670
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Quote:Large homes are more favorable than small homes.

so whats the difference between those homes?

also question, why do you slowly fade out old construction?
why not just disable it alltogether?

less complicated for you.
... first, as a dark demon. As a demon, it uses its power to rain death upon the land, and then it dies. However, after a period of slumber, Razgriz returns, this time, as a great hero.
(08-09-2018, 07:18 PM)Slaxx Wrote:

also question, why do you slowly fade out old construction?
why not just disable it alltogether?

less complicated for you.

Probably because people have invested time and money into developing old cities and Haxus realizes that? I’ve played this universe since it started, with a three month break after Syndicate reached one million population then left. That’s $330 I could have spent on 5-6 triple A games, 16-33 indie games, or time I could have spent playing free games. The effort to keep the old cities around while encouraging the new ones is appreciated, even if it’s not the absolute least complicated option. Old cities have their code more or less perfectly worked out too, no reason to change them if they still work. Preventing construction of new old cities will slowly transition things over to the new system without major disruptions. Old cities will slowly decay or be replaced by new ones, which are superior in every way. I’m just not sure it’s a good change to make right after the rules for designing new cities were changed again.
(08-09-2018, 07:18 PM)Slaxx Wrote:

The "cramp living conditions" morale penalty.
See: http://hazeron.com/wiki/index.php/City_Building_Tips
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
I'll add that the new designer still can't calculate the volume of a cube correctly. When volume is the limiting factor on city development, it really should be determined a little more accurately than it is. The difference is significant on small worlds.

A comparison with the old system: The population limit as defined by the game is 1000 for a world. You make a city there, expecting that to be accurate. Instead, the population limit randomly turns out to be 890, and your city is unstable.
Question 
(08-09-2018, 01:43 PM)Lunar Farming Wrote: Farms on moons and other harsh environments can only run some processes for making silage.

Fixed an error when listing processes that depend on environmental factors. Processes that get water from the environment were incorrectly omitted when the world had no natural water, overlooking that water in the city inventory can be used as a substitute.

When I checked this afternoon, I was able to assign crops to the farms. However it still doesn't appear to use the water from storage.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)