Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Ship Construction at New Cities
I would like to post this as a possible feature to see what everyone thinks. It'd be interesting, I think, if extremely large ships under construction at new style cities were placed in orbit as frames, much like how buildings that are being constructed appear as a framework. Whether or not a ship would appear in orbit as a frame (leaving it susceptible to sabotage) could be based on the commodity storage of the spacecraft factory constructing the ship. Larger spacecraft factories could hold larger ships without them needing to be built in orbit.

This would accomplish a few things. First, it would limit the number of huge ships that can be constructed at once to four at any particular planet (The limit on new spacecraft that spawn at stations). Second, it would add more interest to shipyard cities. Players could either dedicate a large portion of their allowed volume to spacecraft factories to build more than four ships in safety, or use smaller shipyards, which would allow more production in the city but possible leave the ships under construction vulnerable.

This is just a rough idea, but I think it could be interesting.
I very much like the idea of visiting somebody's world and seeing the framework of a massive unfinished ship being constructed in orbit.
i 1 up this to