Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Merge House and Apartment
If we are going to make housing possible in (almost) all buildings, and cramped living conditions will only be affacted by "small home > medium home + large home * 2", then I don't see a reason for having both House and Apartment.

So maybe just merge House and Apartment together into "Housing" or something.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Maybe there should be height restrictions imposed on house and apartment designs?
What even
(07-18-2018, 06:35 PM)Celarious Wrote: Maybe there should be height restrictions imposed on house and apartment designs?

Not sure a Height limit on house would be a good way of doing it.

I mean we could limit House to only have medium homes, and Apartment only have small homes. And then we can even add Condominiums back and have them to only have large homes.

But that just feels like a step backwards, unless we remove the whole "almost all builds can have homes" thing.
I would say restricting each type to only have a specific size of home would be good, alongside disallowing all buildings from having more than the required amount of homes
What even
The only real reason to retain house/apartment distinctions is the "intended use" button. They are distinct aesthetic categories, even though they are no longer functionally distinct. 

I don't much mind the fact that any building can have houses, though it would help if we could filter out such designs, to avoid planning mistakes (is that already possible?).
(07-18-2018, 06:49 PM)Deantwo Wrote: I mean we could limit House to only have medium homes, and Apartment only have small homes. And then we can even add Condominiums back and have them to only have large homes.

I don't think limiting house type to the building type is something that should be done.  I mean you can have a small or large single house also.

Perhaps merging them all into a single building type would be best but have different moral positives and negatives depending on the design?
Like a person living in a small single home wouldn't be satasfied as someone in a single large house but at least it's better then living in a cramped teniment with a hundred other people
(07-19-2018, 06:33 PM)Phenoix12 Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 06:49 PM)Deantwo Wrote: I mean we could limit House to only have medium homes, and Apartment only have small homes. And then we can even add Condominiums back and have them to only have large homes.

I don't think limiting house type to the building type is something that should be done.  I mean you can have a small or large single house also.

Perhaps merging them all into a single building type would be best but have different moral positives and negatives depending on the design?
Like a person living in a small single home wouldn't be satasfied as someone in a single large house but at least it's better then living in a cramped teniment with a hundred other people

I get the feeling you don't know the difference between "small home", "medium home" and "large home". All tree of them only supply one "home" for a single citizen.

The different sizes of "homes" are allocated to the building design. The only purpose so far is their affect on the "cramp living conditions" morale penalty. Calculated like this:
Code:
small homes <= medium homes + (large homes × 2)
http://hazeron.com/wiki/index.php/City_Building_Tips

Therefor "small homes" are eaual to old-style apartment buildings. The "small homes" take less volume of a building design, but they have that penalty to watch out for.

I am mostly leaning towards the idea of just merging the house and apartment. Let the building blueprints we use decide all the stuff, but we need more information added to the construction window though, so we can make better informed decisions.
While this might sound good, from the stand point of efficiency, I like the option for aesthetic reasons.

Homes and apartments are different and they exist. Apartments|condos|hotels have multiple homes and one or more offices. Houses are stand-alone homes that do not require an office.
A small suggestion to make Houses and Apartments different and both useful.

Limit houses to have no more than 5 or 10 homes and not allow offices, or at least not add any jobs. This would mean that houses are small and have the advantage of not costing any jobs.

Apartments could than require an office for every 10 or 15 homes, so there is a small job cost to big apartment buildings.

A limit to how many homes can be in other industries might be a good idea, if you don't want houses and apartments to be totally useless in comparison. Maybe limit them to 5 homes or something like that.
Slightly off topic but, height restrictions tied to materials (like old cities) was a nice visualization of an empires technological achievements.