Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Alert Sounds and Danger Warnings
I was reading some ooold threads and fell over an old bug report that gave me an idea.
See: (Old bug report) Rocket-dive failure leaves new players confused

In short, if your spacecraft is in danger, either from very strong gravity or a corrosive atmosphere, there is no alert or warning signs. This confuses new players a lot.

If your spacecraft is being affected by very strong gravity the spacecraft should play an alert sound, and maybe a crewman should give a report about it.
For example if your spacecraft has rocket-drive engines it is vital to let the player know that the bright supergiant sun can't be escaped. This might also be necessary for space rocket vehicles.

Should do the same kind of alert when entering a corrosive atmosphere with a spacecraft that has a weak hull. This could also be useful for EV suits, at the very least an indicator with a warning symbol in the helmet HUD.

If we want to go really advanced, collision warnings for spacecraft and vehicles would be nice too.
See: (Idea thread) Submarine Sonar and Proximity Alert
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(old) Deantwo' Wrote:If we want a super easy fix for this, I guess the "reason for destruction" explained in the loss mail could just be made custom. For example if the ship/vehicle was rocket-drive based and sun-dived a supergiant, simply assume that the strong gravity was the cause and write a special reason in the mail.

A simple special message in the loss mail would be an easy fix, even if a little snowflakey.

But we can't relay on only more crew channel messages, since we can't be sure that the new player actually has a berth on their spacecraft. That is why I really want it to be an actual alert sound too.
Just had another player confuse rocket-drive verse supergiant star, as AI just being bad and sun-diving again. If the player was informed as detailed above, they would be less likely to make that mistake.
Yep. Intercom channel could be used for these kinds of notifications.