Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Space Dungeons

I'm not feeling the idea of "space" dungeons you could travel to via wormholes or whatever.

But having POI's (Points of Interests) you could find randomly scattered on planets could be cool. And they could range from broken down ancient temples, to a broken hut, to a whole dungeon full of traps and puzzles.

That would give us something to explore for, and reason to visit other planets and land, other than just colonizing for resources.

(03-01-2022, 07:25 PM)Norway174 Wrote: having POI's (Points of Interests) you could find randomly scattered on planets could be cool. And they could range from broken down ancient temples, to a broken hut, to a whole dungeon full of traps and puzzles.

That would give us something to explore for, and reason to visit other planets and land, other than just colonizing for resources.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you there, but I fail to see why we can't have both.

My idea with "Space Dungeons" is just more for actual exploration with your ship, rather than just landing and going in to explore on foot.

You are very welcome to make another thread about planet-side exploration content, at least I don't remember one existing already off the top of my head. Then we can discuss it more there, rather than de-rail this thread completely.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Well, for space exploration... What about ancient abandoned space stations you could find and explore. Or abandoned ships adrift. That you could potentially capture. Similar to the space pirates, but uncrewed and inactive. And possibly damaged.

I'm all for more space content.

But I'm not a fan of the whole "instanced" content where you travel to a temporary system and it gets destroyed after you leave.

(03-01-2022, 08:03 PM)Norway174 Wrote: But I'm not a fan of the whole "instanced" content where you travel to a temporary system and it gets destroyed after you leave.

I never said it had to be instanced. Enemy warship following you through the temporary wormhole sounds fun and something that shouldn't be prevented.

What if the temporary solar system has other temporary wormholes leading to other places in the universe, it could be hotly contested content or even a risky way to travel long distances. Somewhat similar to EVE Online's wormholes I suppose.

(03-01-2022, 08:17 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 08:03 PM)Norway174 Wrote: But I'm not a fan of the whole "instanced" content where you travel to a temporary system and it gets destroyed after you leave.

I never said it had to be instanced. Enemy warship following you through the temporary wormhole sounds fun and something that shouldn't be prevented.

What if the temporary solar system has other temporary wormholes leading to other places in the universe, it could be hotly contested content or even a risky way to travel long distances. Somewhat similar to EVE Online's wormholes I suppose.

That's why I said "instanced" in quotes.

But now it sounds more like something else. Closer to wormholes from EVE. Sounds like you'd want a randomized quick travel system with more potential for PVP?

(03-01-2022, 08:30 PM)Norway174 Wrote: But now it sounds more like something else. Closer to wormholes from EVE. Sounds like you'd want a randomized quick travel system with more potential for PVP?

It could probably be made so that you can only exit through the wormhole you entered through if the idea of long distance travel isn't desired. But yes, either it be through a feature like this, or another type of wormholes, long distance travel to random destinations seem like it would be fun for space exploration. But we have plenty of other suggestions about how long distance travel could be made more interesting. I just like the idea of temporary wormholes a lot and they can definitely be used for a lot of interesting features.

If there is something worth fighting for in these "Space Dungeons", then it would be interesting to have multiple people fight over it.

(03-01-2022, 08:50 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 08:30 PM)Norway174 Wrote: But now it sounds more like something else. Closer to wormholes from EVE. Sounds like you'd want a randomized quick travel system with more potential for PVP?

It could probably be made so that you can only exit through the wormhole you entered through if the idea of long distance travel isn't desired. But yes, either it be through a feature like this, or another type of wormholes, long distance travel to random destinations seem like it would be fun for space exploration. But we have plenty of other suggestions about how long distance travel could be made more interesting. I just like the idea of temporary wormholes a lot and they can definitely be used for a lot of interesting features.

If there is something worth fighting for in these "Space Dungeons", then it would be interesting to have multiple people fight over it.

Now, that just sounds overly complicated. Just keep it in-system. There's really no need to make another wormhole that goes somewhere else for a limited time.

Systems can still be contested if they're in a populated cluster. Or near high traffic areas.

(03-01-2022, 09:11 PM)Norway174 Wrote: Systems can still be contested if they're in a populated cluster. Or near high traffic areas.

Then people would just refuse to do them in populated clusters or near high traffic areas.

Exactly the same as when players don't want to settle in populated space near others. If there is a choice between being in an area where PvP is likely happen and being in an area where PvP is unlikely to happen, most will go with the safe route of unlikely PvP. Unless the risk suddenly makes it worthwhile that is.

But again this again all depends on how this feature should work. I am just brainstorming here, tossing out whatever comes to mind, I don't have a design document or anything for this feature idea. It just seemed like a cool idea and might have been inspired by the Abyssal Deadspace feature in EVE Online, but I don't remember what I was thinking back in 2019.

(03-01-2022, 09:23 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 09:11 PM)Norway174 Wrote: Systems can still be contested if they're in a populated cluster. Or near high traffic areas.

Then people would just refuse to do them in populated clusters or near high traffic areas.

Exactly the same as when players don't want to settle in populated space near others. If there is a choice between being in an area where PvP is likely happen and being in an area where PvP is unlikely to happen, most will go with the safe route of unlikely PvP. Unless the risk suddenly makes it worthwhile that is.

The same arguments works the other way around too. If you have multiple wormholes leading to the same system. Then people still won't do it if they don't want to PVP.

(03-01-2022, 09:36 PM)Norway174 Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 09:23 PM)Deantwo Wrote: ... people would just refuse to do them in populated clusters or near high traffic areas.

... Unless the risk suddenly makes it worthwhile that is.

The same arguments works the other way around too. If you have multiple wormholes leading to the same system. Then people still won't do it if they don't want to PVP.

Again, depends on what is desired for the feature. If the reward/loot scaled depending on number of entrances or number of active player empires near the entrance, then everything is fine i guess.

If the reward/loot is the same then yes, going for the less risky one is always better.

But instead of just PvP, some cooperative PvE would likely be a lot more interesting. You know positive player interaction.